Brake Problem

Hi All,

Two weeks ago I changed the rotor, pads and shoes for front and rear brake because I found I have to press brake really hard to stop the car when the car is running around 65/hour.After I changed everything(rotor, pads and shoes), also bleed the brake oil in the system, but I didn't see any improvement on the brake.I still press really hard in order to stop the car.

This week my brake got worse and worse, I have to press the pedal harder and harder to stop the car. But I did check the master cylinder, there is no leaking around the master cylinder. Normally if I press the brake without starting the engine, I only can press two or three times, then I can't press any more. But today I pressed the peddle without starting the engine, I can press the pedal all the time. Could you please tell me which part is wrong ?

Model: Toyota corolla 92 Mileage: 170,000

Thanks in advance

Alan

Reply to
Renping Yin

If by pressing the brake you mean the pedal has movement, then it sounds like you have air in the hydraulics. Air being a gas, compresses, using up pedal movement.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

It could be air in the system, but it could more likley be a bad master cilinder , they go bad even without leaking, rebuilts are risky as many rebuilt parts are crap these days

Reply to
mark Ransley

The irony here is that static testing the master cylinder in the mannner described above is not conclusive. I've lightly pressed ... and I've stood on .... the brake pedal only to find a solid pedal. But go drive the vehicle and sooner or later, a normal stop will reveal a "bypassing" seal in the master cylinder. Go figure.

Reply to
Philip®

Yeah,...perhaps temp has something to do with it. In the bad old days when cars got quite bad in this area before maintenance, a seal could be bypassing rapidly. The driver would pump the pedal to try and regain some action, saying that it was only air!

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

In the "bad old days when cars...."

Ok "dude". This may be a little before your time but most master cylinders used to be made of cast iron which offers a rougher surface than aluminum.

Reply to
Philip®

Philip, Remember when the older brake fluid(s) would turn to some kind of mucky brown or gray stuff in the bottom of the master cylinders if they weren't flushed regularly? I've seen those a cause a pedal to the floor intermittently and would sometimes pump up like air in the system. Usually this could be fixed with a brake system flush, though. Saw your comment and couldn't help but reminisce, sigh. :-D davidj92

Reply to
davidj92