92 camry head gasket

Hi all, Have a 92 Camry V6, leaking oil from the hread gasket. Any ideas on approximate price range for replacment? mechanic says $1500...sound OK? Thanks

Reply to
No Name

You want to spend $1500 on a 92 camry for an oil leak?! It's a 92, right? Unless the head gasket is going to the point where you are losing coolant or exhaust is getting into the coolant such that you can damage the engine, don't bother. Go spend $25 on a mat to place under the car in the garage to catch any oil leaks and top it up whenever you need to. Keep an eye on your coolant and get a leakdown/pressure test done every year or so. $1500 sounds like a lot for a head gasket replacement. I can see $800. Where is the leak? Front or back?

davemac

Reply to
davemac

I'm starting to wonder if this was a regular problem with this car.

I had a '92 Camry, the head gasket was leaking and needed to be repaired, about a year and a half ago. Since it happened to me, I must have seen about a dozen posts here since then with others having the same exact problem, in a '92 Camry.

Reply to
Steve

Visit MIDAS, there charge is about $320.

on

Reply to
IceMan

Not aware of any specific problem (at least according to the lead Toyota mechanic locally), but 1992 did mark the introduction of that new "generation" of V-6 engine. Not sure about this, but may have been changed from cast iron to aluminum block that year among other engine design changes, including more power.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Hello!!!! It is a twelve year old car!!! You're complaining about a head gasket leaking after 12 years and are wondering if it is a defect?

ideas

OK?

Reply to
David

HELLO!!!!! I know it is 12 years old, but I don't see 12 year old Corollas or any other Toyotas with constant posts about leaking head gaskets. When it happened, I just thought to myself "old car", these things happen., then I started seeing all these posts. We are not talking about a blown bulb here, or other specific parts that wear out. I'd understand torn CV Boots, or other parts that just wear out over a

12 year period, but there's too many of these '92 head gasket posts.
Reply to
Steve

HELLO!!!!! I know it is 12 years old, but I don't see 12 year old Corollas or any other Toyotas with constant posts about leaking head gaskets. When it happened, I just thought to myself "old car", these things happen., then I started seeing all these posts. We are not talking about a blown bulb here, or other specific parts that wear out. I'd understand torn CV Boots, or other parts that just wear out over a

12 year period, but there's too many of these '92 head gasket posts.
Reply to
Steve

Gaskets could be made of rubber (similar to pressure cooker gasket rubber) or of solid carton. Camry's uses rubber type gaskets while Honda uses carton type gaskets.

head

is

the

Any

$1500...sound

lot

must

Reply to
IceMan

I thought that the 92-93 V6 (3VZ-FE) was using a cast iron block, and the current V6 (1MZ-FE) is now aluminum?

Reply to
hlee