93 Camry Rear Noise

I have a 93 Camry with 112,000 miles. I am getting a "rattle" in the rear. It almost sounds like something has come loose. I have had it checked twice. One mechanic couldn't hear it (must be deaf) and one told me it was probably the rear strut mounts without even checking it. My cousins hubby does my repair work and he sometimes likes to replace everything it could be as to fix the problem the first time. He thinks we should replace mounts and struts. Is this what you guys think the problem is? I hate to keep putting money in the car but, I also hate to part with it. Suggestions please???

Reply to
Galneedsanswers

make triple sure nothing in the trunk is loose. A spare tire low on air can bounce around some. Check both small spaces on the sides of the trunk. Make sure the tire iron is secured to the piece that holds it. Make sure muffler is not hitting anything. If that is not it, its probably time for new struts back there...

Reply to
ROBMURR

He could be right. Sounds like a strut mount. Since you may have to replace the mount, might as well do the strut. When was the last time you changed them?

Also, most of the time, if it *is* the mount, it will make a barking or creaking mostly on corners or on 'hops' of the rear suspension.

All you have to do is open the trunk and do the old 'shock test'; rock the bumper hard and listen. You'll hear it if that's what it is!

Reply to
HachiRoku

I get the noise anytime I even hit a slight bump in the road. I have never changed the struts and I bought the car with 54000 miles so I have no idea if they have ever been replaced. We have rocked the trunk of the car and really don't hear alot. The noise almost sounds like the muffler or something is loose but, if it is, I have yet to find it. I have just recently replaced both CV boots, timing belt, water pump, all the belts, both engine mounts and the front brakes. It seems like it is becoming quite an expensive deal, That is the only reason I am hesitant about putting another several hundred dollars into the car.

Reply to
Galneedsanswers

Holy Crap! With the amount of work you've done, the car should be good for another 100,000 at least!

Since you got the car at such a low mileage, I doubt struts have been replaced. If the struts themselves are bad it will feel like the rear end is sliding around. Since you've spent so much now, and you have someone who *sounds* like he can do the work, replace the struts and mounts, maybe the springs while you're at it. See what your wallet will bear.

From what you say, I'm willing to bet (*your* money ;) ) that it's the strut mounts.

You can save quite a few bucks if you just replace the mounts by themselves. What will suck (for the person doing the work) is that if the sound *does* go away, then you have to do the whole thing all over again to replace the struts!

I just reread your original msg, and you say you hate to part with it. Go ahead and do it. BTW, has anyone really checked the exhaust?

Reply to
HachiRoku

rear.

Reply to
Mikey

I do have a rattle too. It's caused by worn bushings on the control bars. Can't afford the CAN$650.00 + that the local dealer wants. Have yours checked. Just in case.

JP

Galneedsanswers wrote:

Reply to
JP

Oh my God. $650. The parts are $18US!

Is this a mulit-link car? I had mine done on a 240SX and it cost $95, +$17 for the bushings, and that *was* a multilink!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Here are two inexpensive areas to check first:

Rear anti sway bar bushings. One on each side. Inexpensive and easy to replace. Sometimes they squeak when old and dry. If one breaks you'll definitely get a rattle on slight bumps in the road.

Muffler heat shield. I heard a buzzing sound when closing the driver's door. Not sure this is the approved method, but wound up applying a

3/8" artfully applied gob of silicone seal between the heat shield and the side of the trunk to stop the vibration - buzzing gone.
Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Reply to
Mikey