Rear suspension noise when loaded

99 Camry 4cyl. Car has about 55k miles. When car is heavily loaded I can hear an occasional muted thumping in the rear. Sounds a lot like the original front stut mounts that were replaced in warranty when the car was new. Dealer says he can't hear the noise. They must be deaf, or I need to load more sand in the trunk before the next trip over there. Don't think the suspension is bottoming out because it somethimes happens on even roadway that has been milled and creates a vibration. Struts aren't leaking and nothing looks broken. Car never wrecked. Any ideas??
Reply to
Gary Danaher

Daughter has a 1992 (I think) Toyota Previa that was making a noise when stopping and A/C on - a light knocking noise. Assuming it was the A/C, she had someone check the A/C & they observed the A/C appeared ok and that it may be the water pump. Taking it to a local dealer - the dealer's mechanics said it was the SAD shaft ? and the parts were over $1200. Vehicle has 120,000 miles, routinely maintained. comments, suggestions - whatever other info is needed? dan

Reply to
Dan Vaught

In my Camry the noise came from the top mount of the strut (the part between strut and body).

Reply to
kriegsman

renewing the part.

Reply to
kriegsman

I have the exact same problem. The sound is the same as the front strut mount problem, except that it comes from the rear (right side on mine). Almost never a noise unless there are passengers in the back, or the car is otherwise heavily loaded. My dealer says the struts need to be replaced (I have 100k miles on the car, and they've never been replaced- my noise started around the same time as yours). While I have no problem believing that the struts could stand a replacement (to the tune of about $1200 for all 4), I find it hard to believe that they are the cause of the noise we hear. I suspect the bolt that holds the strut mojnt on is loose, but the labor involved is about the same as replacing the struts- the back seat has to come out, which involves removing the seat belt system and some other things. This is what drives up the cost- according to the dealer.

Reply to
Alan

I replaced all 4 struts on my 98 Camry a few months ago (after 240.000 km or

150.000 miles). I did it myself and I can tell you, this certainly did not involve removing the seat belt system!! You can just pull the rear seat out then the two side parts (next to the seats back) by removing two bolts. Then you have acces to the three nuts on top of the struts. This is probably no more than 10 min. of work!!

Reply to
kriegsman