96 CAMRY A/C PROBLEMS

Purchased this auto w/134k back in Jan.. A/C was a bit weak then but in past few weeks i've had a NEED for a/c.. I've discovered there was very little PRESSURE in the lines.. For the record, all my activities in the below steps were done with engine turned off.. So, I began putting together what it takes to EVACUATE the system, and check for leaks, before refilling with R134a.. I have a ROBINAIRE vacuum pump that pulls a good 28 to 29 lbs. Rounded up an adaptor/coupler for the low pressure side but learned that putting together a coupler for the HIGH SIDE is another story all together. I have limited resources as respects the detailed PROCEDURES to evacuate this system.. I did notice that in the procedures available to me that I should pull a vacuum from both HIGH & LO A/C ports at the same time.. That sounded feasible BUT amongst all my mess I did not find a GOOD means to PROPERLY get a good connection on that HI PRESSURE port.. Using my guage valves I hooked up just the LO port to my vacuum pump, leaving the HI port with nothing (no cap either) on it.. In just SECONDS I pulled a solid 28 lbs from the LO port.. Turned my compressor off and the vacuum held for several minutes.. NOW, resources said the vacuum s/b pulled from BOTH ports or I would have leakage from the high port.. At this point i'm seeing NO LEAKAGE. So, I reached down and pushed down the CORE VALVE on the high side while my VACUUM still showed the 28 lbs.. The 28 lb vacuum did not drop at all. Now, is that telling me something or not?? My guess is that there is a TOYOTA TSR out there that might help me here.. I don't feel comfortable putting R134 freon in this unit at $9. a can UNTIL I know more of what to REALLY expect here.. So there it is guys.. Do help me clear up this muddy water situation AND where is the best place to get the adapter for the HI port to STANDARD guage hose.. Thanks again for any help you can provide... jim

Reply to
bottledoctor

Come on guys.. SOMEBODY must know something about my problem.. Gimmi a phone number or something.. I can call for free if you'd rather just talk about this.. thx, jim

[...]

Get yourself a proper a/c manifold gauge set and stop dicking around. This is an ok set:

Evacuate the system thru the center hose by having both the low and high side valves open. If the vacuum holds for 10 mins, then you are good, otherwise re-vac again to pull out any remaining moisture. If you can't get the vac to hold after 3 or 4 trys, then you have a leak. You really should be pulling 30 inches in order to get the moisture out. To recharge, charge into the low side only (ie turn off the high side valve). Put the cans of freon in some warm water first to preheat (not hot). Get a cheap postal scale (Ebay) and weigh your cans full and then weigh them as you put them in. Keep the cans upright. Bleed the air out of your charging hoses by cracking open the fitting on the low side quik connect for a second if you can with the first can attached to the center hose. When you have around 40-50psi of static pressure in the system, start the engine and turn on the A/C to help pull in the rest of the remaining charge. (required charge should be on a sticker under the hood). After you are done, low side should be around 30-35 psi, high side around 200-220psi or so. Make sure your condensor fan is working.

dave mc

Reply to
davemac