97 Camry - from where?

As I have written in other posts, I have just bought a mint 97 Camry XLE. When I was in the process of buying it I noticed that it was built in Kentucky, and on inspecting the engine I saw so many made in Japan stickers I concluded that it was assembled from Jap parts. Today I was surprised to discover on the edge of the Fender or Wing (depending on where you are) under the Hood or Bonnet (ditto) a stamp saying Made in Taiwan! Does that mean the body was made in Taiwan? or just some of the panels?

Reply to
woodee

Whoa! Made in Taiwan!?!

Check for accident damage. The only time I see made in Taiwan parts is on cars we have repaired after an accident!

As far as I know, Toyota does *not* make body parts in Taiwan!!!

Reply to
HachiRoku

I ran a check on the numbers when I bought it and this car has never been in an accident (I'm in BC, Canada and the Gov't documents these things). Also I had a good look inside the hood, under the fenders, under the carpets, everywhere, and the whole thing is factory put together. It's a good point though HachiRoku - I'll be rechecking this thoroughly now.

Reply to
woodee