leak on front passenger side

Hi,

I have 1999 toyota camry V4 and 120k miles on it. I am noticing few drops of leak on the front passenger side. Couple of months back I noticed a leak exactly below the shift and when i took it to the dealer's service center they said the power steering rack needs to be replaced and they estimated around $1000. But I don't see that leak now instead i see leak on the front passenger side. I also notice some weird rattling noise around the same area.

One recent change i did for the past 6 months I shifted from regular oil to synthetic and changing the oil every 6000 miles.

any idea what is going on? I am thinking of taking it to other mechanic shops to get an second opinion but thought of checking here first.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks, RT

Reply to
thara01

The power steering rack in my '92 leaked. The car sat for a long time before I got it and the seals dried out. I used a leak stopping power steering fluid in it and it fixed it. It's been two years now with no reacurrence.

Reply to
Bobo

You need to identify the source of the leak first. Synthetic engine oil isn't going to affect the power steering system. So you may actually have engine oil leaks. Most gaskets don't cost $1000. V6s seem to have problems with rear valve cover gasket leaking onto the PS pump (so is yours V6 or inline 4?)

I've used PS seal conditioner and had good results on Detroit irons -- if the pump and rack are otherwise in good shape.

Reply to
johngdole

If the PS is leaking you'll know cause the resevoir will be low.

Reply to
Bobo

Thanks for all your replies. Is the leak stopping power steering fluid is same as PS seal conditioner? I would like to try it. Is it something i can do or i would my mechanic to do?

Thanks for your help!

-Ramesh

Reply to
thara01