98 Camry stalls when warmed up

I am posting this for "John" who does not have the ability to post on newsgroups and only view. Please post replies on this newsgroup (for the benefit of others) AND to his email address at snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net

I have a Toyota Camry 96, 4cyl. A/C, Auto. It has 125,000 miles. When you first start it cold it runs great, then after let's say

15 minutes it drives fine, but when you go to a stop sign or slow quickly to make a turn, it will stall or almost stall. If while driving I put it in neutral, it will sometimes stall, but not always. I had my mechanic change the O2 sensor, because it did pop a code, he also changed the fuel filter because it does flutter from time to time. Otherwise it has all kinds of power, and no other codes are present.
Reply to
Car Guy

That's exactly the symptom I have. In conversations and private email several possible causes have been mentioned. Mine is not fixed yet, but my mechanic looks that engine while I rev'd it, and said he saw the problem:

There is a vacuum-operated diaphragm [he called it a piston] that should have moved, but didn't. [I considered the possibility that he was overlooking some more subtle things, which would not be visible but concluded he is almost certianly right.] He later said that the part in question could just be stuck. Or of course the little vaccum hose could be defective.

Meanwhile, let's all be careful when driving: the brakes barely work when the engine stalls. I leave a lot of space ahead and decelerate slowly. Downshifting as you slow can help, as can that 'secret' button on the shoftrer (I'm assuming automatic transmission).

Reply to
Dan Falkoff

Had a similar problem, replaced the egr valve and all is well.

Reply to
GJD

Help it must be contagious. I have a 96 Camry and it just began stalling without any warning at all. It only stalls after its warm and only when it's come to a complete stop (light or stop sign). Throwing it in neutral seems to help but its hard to say because it doesn't always stall when stopped. When it runs, it runs great. Mechanic found no trouble codes and has no clue what problem is. I replaced dist cap and rotor (no help). Was going to buy Engine Control Temp Sensor but hesitated ... just can't stand throwing money at something when I'm not more certain. 160,000 miles on car (all highway). Just this afternoon I unplugged coolant sensor and wiggle various wires and gave another test ride. Car wouldn't die ... temp outside is low 60s however and I fear the problem only comes when it's 70 or higher. If anyone has solved their Camry problem with these symptoms .. please share your experience. Thanks/Jim snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
kn4zj

Dennis,

Thanks ... I've heard that might be one thing to check. Man that's a high dollar item ... Advance shows it at 140-240 dollars. I guess I could take a chance on the salvage yard variety. Was your car a 96 as well? Thanks/jm

Reply to
kn4zj

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

You can test the EGR function, and then usually clean it if needed. Only if the diaphragm is bad you need to replace it.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Hey thanks much for the replies (very much). I believe I will try the EGR test. The symptoms are changing ... check this out: The car is now hesitating at times while driving home on I-70 ... it's not just stalling during idle anymore. Tonight we drove to the public library and it wouldn't start until we waited 30 minutes. When it did, we smelled strong exhaust fumes all the way home. When we pulled into the driveway, I noticed we were being "pulled" ... it was idling fast (about 2000 rpms in Park). I put it in gear again and it immediately died ... tried to start again and it wouldn't. Again - the fumes were pretty bad. It wasn't gas fumes either ... I'm sure they were exhaust fumes. Do these symptoms still agree with a possible bad EGR valve or gasket? Anything else come to mind? Thanks again.

Reply to
kn4zj

[...]

Check for restriction in the exhaust system or catlytic converter. One way is to run the engine at say 2500 rpm, steady, while watching a vacuum meter connected to the intake. If vacuum drops (back pressure rising) at steady engine speed, suggests a blockage.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus