99 Camry & Brakes + accident

I wrecked my wife's car last night. I was driving at what was normally a safe distance, but ... ... were the brakes bad, or is it my perception/problem.

Normally when I start the car, the brake pedal depresses way down but to a normal distance on the second stroke. So I always give it two depressions before starting out.

But after driving for a while (in this case about 20 mins.) the situation goes back to what it was when the car was first started.

Unfortuantely I was too close to the car in front to avoid hitting it. The car slowed enough that the front end went under his bumper (high bumper of a 70s Pontiac). Creamed the hood, radiator, etc. Speed only 15 to 20 MPH!

Anyway, about the brakes. Is that normal with ABS? This is our first car with ABS.

TIA,

Collin

Reply to
Collin Brendemuehl

with ABS.

Sounds like a leaking master cylinder to me.

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

Sounds like you had air in the brake lines or bad master cylinder. Your ABS should have prevented any skidding. Did it skid? Did the pedal shake?

Reply to
ROBMURR

Hi,

This is a classic symptom of air in the brake system somewhere, most likely in your ABS unit. This unit is very difficult to bleed properly at home, and is best left to a tech with pressure bleeding equipment.

That need to pump the brakes is not normal at all with any brake system, and can be dangerous as you found.

Geoff

--
Geoff

Thanks, everyone. I told the policeman about it and he didn't check the brakes to see about brake failure. He simply ticketed me. I'm going to have the insurance adjuster and the shop check the brakes. (Yes, they will. They want to be certain of their decisions.) There was no shimmy or shake. No skid. Just inadequate slowing.

TIA,

Collin

Reply to
Collin Brendemuehl

The idea with antilock brakes if you really need to stop fast is to hit the brake hard and hold it. ABS will modulate the brake pedal (you will feel it) to keep the wheels from locking up. I suggest a full brake inspection and repair before using it again. Even if they failed, the cop does not care you were still at fault. He might have given you a ticket for unsafe equipment as well.

I'm going to have the insurance adjuster and the shop check the

Well, they are certain of the fact that you were at fault by hitting the other car in front of you...Good luck.

Reply to
ROBMURR

Sounds like someone was doing their own brake work.

Reply to
ofthedeep

Nope. Handn't touched it. I do pads but nothing else. But this was too-recent (April) an acquisition to have such need.

Collin

Reply to
Collin Brendemuehl

Well, let us know what you find out as to cause.

Reply to
marinelife