Camry brakes

Sometimes I read complaints about Camry brakes. This past week, I was drving over a freeway overpass, apx. 35 - 40 mph, ('94 4 cyl. Camry, disk front, drum rear, recently flushed the brake fluid, regularly use the parking brake so the rears stay adjusted, check the tire inflation weekly, ) when a large truck pulled out in front of my path with really not enough time to clear, but made it with just a small amount of clearance, then a large van pulled out immediately behind the first truck - don't know what he was thinking - clearly not enough room/ time to avoid collision with the front of my car - I never use "panic" braking, always "press" the brake pedal, not "hit" it, have no ABS, so this was the first time I "locked up" the brakes, as soon as the tires chirped, I released pressure slightly, to regain steering control while swerving. Must have stopped a good twelve feet short of impact (van just kept on going). My passenger was shaken up, but the brakes seemed to work just fine to me.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Sounds like enough reason to get the ABS next time around! Some real idiots behind the wheel --- of the other vehicle.

Reply to
Wolfgang

one thing never considerd is tires , at 5 years 50000 mine did same, spent alot of money trying to fix brakes, I forget what tires my 91 came with, but they Oxidise and harden faster than other brands, It got so bad on wet acceleration they spun easily, I put on new michelins and difference was day and night. Keeping old tires because you have tread left can kill you, and you usually dont know till its to late

Reply to
mark Ransley