99 Camry Check Engine

Have a 99 camry 4 cylinder, 82k miles, check engine light came on.... Took it to my local mechanic he checked the codes on it, p1133 and p1135. Both have something to do with the AF sensor. The mechanic said this makes no sense because a 99 4 cylinder camry does not have an af sensor. V6 does, but not a 4 cylinder he said. He cleared the light and told me to call him back if it came on. It came on later that night. What else could it be???

Reply to
hubcap1324

Nobody Important

Sorry to say this but your mechanic is wrong. All ?California? 1999-2000 Camry with the 4 Cylinder 5FSE engines have an ?Air/Fuel? (A/F) Sensor. This sensor is mounted in the same location on the exhaust manifold as an Oxygen (O2) Sensor. It looks identical as an O2 Sensor but it should never be mistaken as one. You cannot replace the A/F Sensor with an O2 Sensor because the wiring connection is not the same.

I had some bad experience with these sensors on my 1999 Camry. My car has

90,000 miles on it and had the A/F Sensor replaced 4 times already ? like every 20,000 miles the check-engine light comes on like clockwork and it has always been the A/F sensor. I?m not sure if this is what?s causing my problem, but I think it was from the MTBE gas that they used to sell here in California. Ever since they banned it last year, I?ve now gone 30,000 miles on the current A/F Sensor.

The A/F Sensor are around $200.00 here at this parts store -

Get it changed and your car should be happy.

Reply to
hamwitty

This is nonsense. An A/F sensor is exactly an Oxygen sensor. THey function in the same way on all modern cars.

Reply to
Nobody Important

mea culpa. There's a good writeup about Oxygen and A/F sensors (I think straight from Toyota's mouth) at:

Basically A/F sensors perform precisely the same function as O2 sensors.

Reply to
Nobody Important

True,

But the part is the part and you cannot interchange them. You need to get an A/F Sensor not the standard O2 Sensor - There is a difference as stated in the whitepaper.

Reply to
hamwitty

The AF sensor is an internally HEATED version of an o2 sensor. It has 4 wires.

mb

-----------------------

Nobody Important wrote:

MB

O2 sensors have heaters too. See the URL I referenced above.

Reply to
Nobody Important

Reply to
EugeneN

The AF sensor IS an o2 sensor.

mb ===================

Nobody Important wrote:

Reply to
MB

Check tthe link referenced in the prior thread.

They're both 02 sensors, but the AF sensor sends voltage over a wider range and operates at a higher temperature.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Exacly the same?? Please tell me you don't fix cars for a living...

Reply to
qslim