how to change brake oil

hi guys! How can I change brake oil for my 96 Toyota Camry? Can I do it from the master cylinder(by using a cyringe and taking most of the oil out and then pouring new fluid into the master cylinder, in this way there will be some mixing of used and new fluid). Is there any other drain plug?

Reply to
farhanh96

With the knowledge you just displayed, take the car to a garage and request the brakes be bled at all four wheels.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Since Phillip is so helpful,( I realize he means no harm), I'll throw in some possible help.

The Brake Fluid is not oil. It is Hydraulic Fluid, and it is definitely a good idea to change it by flushing it out once in a while. Every couple of years won't hurt if you have no starting point for this. It is easier to do If you have some prior knowledge, but can be done if you buy a Haynes manual or something of the kind, and looking at how to bleed the brakes. I usually bleed the brakes til I see nothing but new clear fluid and that means topping off the reservoir several times during bleeding. There are folks that do this stuff for a living and might even let you watch if you are just curious. Some places won't let you near the mechanics garage portion of their business, but it is YOUR car , and if they would like your money they should at least allow you some courtesy to see what they are doing. Just try like hell not to get in the way. Watching what they do once, may actaully help you do the job yourself next time, if you choose to let someone else do it for you.

Otherwise, I will suggest highly, that you buy a manuall for help in mainatining your car.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Don't start to learn about working on your car with the brakes! Change the oil and filters a few times to get the hang of it. Brakes have to bleed to get the old fluid out along with any trapped air. This takes a special tool or two people. Even opening the bleeder valves takes a special flare wrench. Break off a bleader valve and it tow time and at least $100 for parts. Even changing the trans fluid and radiator fluid would be good place to start. DO NOT drain antifreeze down into the sewer system though (recycle it)!

Reply to
Wolfgang

In a.a.toyota I posted a method for doing this. It's probably gone.

If you are an ingenutitve type of person, you can make one of these yourself. If not, go to CarQuest or another parts store and buy one. It's called a bleeder kit. The basic kit is small, for a flush try to find a bigger on (about a quart)

Get a plastic jar with a sealable plastic lid. Find the bleeder screw and get a length of hose (about 2 feet, I always 'overengineer') to fit the bleeder. Cut the tubing into one 18" length and one 6" length. Drill or punch 2 holes in the top of the lid *just* smaller than the tubing.

Work the longer end of the tubing into the lid so that it is about 1/4" from the bottom of the jar. Work the other one down about 1/2-3/4" (this is a vent). RTV or epoxy in place if it's loose (probably epoxy...RTV might not last with brake fluid)

Now, fill the jar with just enough brake fluid to cover the longest tube at the bottom. Attach the longest tube to the 1st bleeder screw and open the bleeder. Pump the brakes a couple times, and check the resevior on the car. Also, see how much room you have left in the jar. Add fluid and pump again, repeat until the brake fluid is clean. Close the bleeder.

Drain the jar and repeat for all 4 wheels. When the last wheel runs clean, close the bleeder and top of the resivoir.

You can also use this kit for bleeding when changing brakes yourself.

Reply to
HachiRoku

Wolfgang and I are on the same page on this one. BRAKES are a serious safety system and while simple enough (assuming no ABS present), the OP's familiarity is painfully absent. Would you just him with your car for this same service? He should consider himself his own customer and ask himself that question too.

One or two of you may not like my directness. Too bad. An person unschooled in this arena might be crossing your path .... without reliable brakes.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

Wolfgang wrote:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Philip®

Pump the brakes a couple times, and check the resevior

Here's another way. Costs more, but works great.

Daniel M. Dreifus

I agree for the unknowledgeable the best service on brakes is: close hood, have a beer, swallow the do-it-yourself pride and find a reputable dealer. I was luky enough to have a best friend who is a ASE certified mechanic teach me the proper way. A person without a friend such as this should avoid any such work that I may get to witness at an intersection.

Gary Carter EMT-B/FF1

Reply to
Gary Carter

Other posters are right. Just have a mechanic do this for you.

If you're interested in learning how to do some of your own work, buy the Haynes repair manual for under $20, and start reading at page one

- fasteners, safety procedures, maintenance items. Great place to start. Later you can acquire special tools, factory service manual, etc. I started by learning how to change the air filter, then progressed from there to doing all the servicing and repair.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus