A/C compressor - oil

If I get a a/c compressor from an unknown source like a junkyard, how do I check how much oil is there left and how much to add before installation?

Is there a way to remove all oil to empty this thing? This way I can add specified amount from scratch.

Reply to
Pszemol

I would NOT buy a used compressor... Their is more to fixing it than just changing the compressor. Assuming the old compressor seized ?? blew up. The system needs to be flushed VERY GOOD and a new dryer installed, & need to check for leaks. Then you need to evacuate the system (you have a vacuum pump?) Then you need to recharge to the proper pressures (you have a set of gauges?)

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

My old compressor did not blew up. It is perfectly fine, except it has a damage on the clutch bearing support causing the clutch to malfunction. I tried to replace clutch alone but discovered that the problem is with the compressor, not only the clutch. That is why I need to replace the compressor.

So, since my compressor did not seize my system does not need flushing, right ?

And yes, I have a set of gauges and I have access to a vacuum pump.

Why wouldn't you buy a used compressor ?

Can you answer to my original question about the amount of oil ?

Reply to
Pszemol

You can get essentially all the lubricant out of the compressor by draining it properly, and start off with a fresh charge. You can't conveniently guess or estimate how much lubricant is left in a system especially if there has been a leak.

I just had my Reatta converted from R12 to R134a because (1) R12 is too hard to access around here and (2) because I had a leak and needed to replace the compressor for that reason. Decided to start afresh.

The local mechanic flushed the system (because you have to do so when changing refrigerant types and therefore lubricant types) and found it full of 'black death'.

If you dont do AC jobs correctly from the start, you are likely to lose a good deal of money and be irritated at the result.

There is a lot of good information at

and also in the associated forum.

Reply to
<HLS

What does it mean exactly "drain it properly"? How to drain it properly ?

Understandable.

Thanks.

Reply to
Pszemol

Buying a used compressor is buying someone else's problems. Esp when you find it blowing up in a month or two because their was dirt in it from impropper handeling. . & you have to do the whole job over

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

I took it from the engine on the junkyard myself. Tell me please, what is "improper handling" - I will know how it was handled :-)

Reply to
Pszemol

'black death' ?

Is this a typical problem with camrys, '96 and newer?

Reply to
mrdarrett

The link below explains black death.

Can&#8217;t find the exact info for you. The oil should just drain out of the compressor. Refill with the same amount that drained out. The A/C system will have lubricant spread out through it.

Best to also replace the dryer also at this time.

Check the link below to find the service manual this car.

Vacuum (the longer the better, some shops run overnight), refill the system and see what happens. You should be OK.

Reply to
toyomoho