ABS always helpful?

I've never found this to be true, and I was engineer. Engineers seldom search for problems (Edison was not an engineer, scientists are also not engineers), the customers come to them with problems. If marketing for truck and airplane ABS asks for the same solution for cars, the engineer will provide a solution. In this case, I suspect, that the cost constraints led to a poor solution. These same cost considerations probably led to less than adequate testing.

BTW, in another post, mention was made of high powered motorcycles. Yes, my last bike was a Kawasaki Ninja 750 and it didn't need ABS, but old age finally prevailed and I found it more and more difficult to anticipate the traps set by the cell phone crowd.

snipped-for-privacy@att.net Rochester Minnesota USA

Reply to
Glenn Pooler

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Glenn Pooler being of bellicose mind posted:

That's because you're blind to your own faults. Enga-neers always are!

Hahahhah! They're too involved in making new problems that lofty air head designers could not. (teasing).

The engineers I've known always have a vehicle that lends itself to experimentation on one or more levels. That old age thing I understand ... and it's not for sissies. I'm fighting the inevitable every step of the way! Still have two bikes that I still ride when the spirit moves me. )8^)

--
  - Philip

"It's no longer a question of staying healthy.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Philip®

The above comments are irrational, irrelevant, immaterial and inconsequential. Get a life.

Reply to
Charks

For every accident "out ran" (what a pile of crap) by a vehicle with a 300 HP V-8, there are probably 100 accidents CAUSED by drivers of similarly equipped vehicles who lack the required skill to handle all that power.

Reply to
Charks

Or... Ed's rebuttal may be spot on ... exposing your "irrational" affection for devices over skill and judgement. ;^)

--
 Philip

"When you're passin' popcorn husks over a hemorrhoid ...
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Philip®

Well, I hate those also, but at least they are cheap to implement and when they fail, you can ignore them.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Ed seems full of hate for technology. Time for him to move to Amish country.

Reply to
Charks

Living in Amish country you see all sorts of anomalies. Last week it was a buggy equipped with LEB night lights. And a pal of mine mentioned recently he saw a buggy guy talking on a cell phone recently. Next will be the ABS horsehoes no doubt.

Mike The Artful Codger

Reply to
Artfulcodger

Same Charks from ARA?

Reply to
Artfulcodger

Heh, heh...indeedy.

Reply to
Charks

1976 model Billmobile here and a 99 Camry XLE -- and you?
Reply to
Artfulcodger

99 Camry--the BEST car I've ever had. 5 years old and looks and runs like new.
Reply to
Charks

By the same token, your Hell would to be trapped in a world filled with battery dependent electronic gadgetry and ... NO BATTERIES!

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Heh, heh...Personally, I use plug-in toys.

Reply to
Charks

Actually I hate any device that is not useful and costs a lot of money or is stupid. Passenger car ABS is mostly useless and expensive, DRLs are mostly useless and irritating (at least the way GM implements them in the US).

Ed

Charks wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

The gene pool has similar feelings about you.

Reply to
Charks

Why is that people who don't have any facts (or at least don't present any facts) to back up their claims always descend to name calling?

There are no studies to support the position that passenger car ABS is on average saving lives. Just because you like ABS, I don't think it is fair for you to promote the idea that ABS should be standard on cars when it is an expensive and only marginally useful device that millions of drivers who won't benefit from. DRLs are a little bit different. At least they are relatively inexpensive and there are studies that show that in some situations DRLs are useful, but there also studies available that say they are not. I think it depends on where you live and how the DRLs are implemented. I have a Saturn with DRLs and they are very irritating to others. I personally don't like them. However, I suppose in a more northerly climate they might be useful. The safety benefits of DRLs are at least debatable.

If you don't like my positions, that's fine. I don't claim to be infallible. However, I don't think it is reasonable for you to insult me just because I don't agree with your positions on ABS or DRLs.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

"We" have a name for such people these days ... LIBERALs (the ones who practice "emotion conquers all"). ;-)

Nicely stated, Ed. ;^)

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

I can say whatever I want. This is UseNet. There is NOTHING you can do to control me. Retain counsel, if you wish, and I will whup your arse in any court you desire.

Reply to
SHARX.

Yeah, right. So now I'm a LIEbrawl. Uh, huh. I do NOT think so. LIEbrawl, in Canada vote NDP or LIEbrawl...in the U.S., they vote DEMONrat.

Reply to
SHARX.