ac quits and light flashes on ac button

A customer of mine has a 1999 toyota camry that I messed with last summer for this problem and today she comes back in saying it did it again. Was the end of the day so I appologize cannot give any psi readings. But last summer when it did this, it blew good cold air and at random it quit and the light started flashing. Then she would shut car off for a min and restart and everything was kosher. I suspected a high psi problem(restriction) but pressures then looked good. I reclaimed the freon and it had the recomended charge. Now 2 years ago I did put a Napa compressor on this car for leakage. I suspect either high psi or too many cycles but can never seem to verify this. It is so random. Last summer I had the car for a day and half and during test drives i only got it to happen one time. She says it seems to happen every day after work when it is hot and she is driving home. In the morning it never causes problems. The car has a new condensor and lines I put on last summer too. Any help here? Whats this I have read about the compressor clutch matching engine rpm? Is that sensor common failed and where is it located on compressor. Cory

Reply to
cmcalpin2002

check a.a.toyota. Someone else there asked almost the same question...

Reply to
Hachiroku

You can google about intermittent cold air problem and I'm sure you'll find tons of stuff.

The light can mean a lot of things, like temp sensor, coolant sensor, clutch lock sensor, pressure sensor, compressor RPM, etc. Dealer equipment can tell you what the problem is if the car isn't equipped with climate control (which can tell you the code).

But for non-climate-control systems it may just be compressor/engine RPM mismatch. This should happen when the pressure is high, and I suspect you can see the compressor isn't turning as fast when this happens. If so, bingo.

It could be as simple as a slipping compressor belt, or a mis-gapped magnetic clutch, worn clutch, or a binding compressor. what little I got from Haynes manual seems to suggest excessive pressure when the temperature is hot.

What are the high and low side pressures when the problem occurs? Does the low side go to vacuum? Did you replace both the receiver and expansion valve?

Reply to
johngdole

I had the same problem on my 1991 Toyota. The engine had a small oil leak and it was causing the compressor belt to slip, which caused the light to come on.

I fixed the leak and resolved the problem.

Good luck

Mel

Reply to
Mel