Starter on '98 Camry 2.2L

Is replacing the starter easy or hard to do for a semi-competent do-it-yourselfer? Thanks

Reply to
slr072

Yes. remove the battery, unplug the starter, unbolt the starter, remove the starter. Two 14mm bolts, I think.

Reply to
qslim

It is easy, but ensure the contacts are on the same side as the original. My aftermarket replacement was on the opposite side and I had some consternation when cutting the tie straps of the wires to make it reach. On my 97 it is up high near the driver firewall. Much smaller than I would have expected.

By the way, make sure the starter is bad. I thought mine was bad but found out later it was the battery. Fortunately I talked the shop into taking back the other one that had already been installed.

Reply to
badgolferman