Any problems with Camry towing 4x8 trailer??

I plan to rent a U-Haul trailer 4x8 like this one

for a trip about 1200 miles on interstate highways and about 10 miles on city roads. Assume fully loaded trailer. household items. My Camry is 2003, LE, 4-cylinder. Are there any precautions I should take? I still have to install a hitch for it.

Reply to
maruk2

Any mountains along the way, or pretty much flat? I wouldn't even attempt it if you're going over any real mountains.

On the flat, you could pull off, but you probably won't enjoy the experience -- a Camry basically can tow about 2000lbs max, and a 4-banger is gonna strain to do that. Personally, I'd keep it at least 500 lbs under that (say, 700 lbs of cargo). Realize that you'll have something following you that weighs nearly half what your car weighs, so allow for lots and lots of stopping distance.

Reply to
Andy Hill

No mountains, maybe a few small hills. The trailer is 780 lbs empty, my load should be less than 1000 lbs. I plan to drive max 65mph all 1200 miles.

Reply to
maruk2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I'd knock that back to 55. Yes, I know that sounds like a crawl, but if you blow a tire at 65 hauling a trailer, it will cure any constipation you may have. Trust me on this....I've been there and it's no fun. A smile won't even be possible for several days, and your hands will shake just thinking about it. Make it at 55 and relax.

Reply to
mack

Sure hope it's under 1000 lbs -- 1800 lbs is pushing the limits of the Camry. If you cook your tranny, you're going to be wishing you'd just rented the regular moving van.

I couldn't tell from the uhaul site -- does this trailer have surge brakes? If not, I'd be really leery of hauling it behind the Camry at all -- asking the Camry's brakes to do all the stopping for anything over 1000 lbs is iffy at best.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Although I have never towed with my CAMRY 4 Auto I did caravan (RV) for 10 years.

Always fully laden 12 or 14 foot van.

2 adults 2 kids. Most local food to.

Each year North UK to Spain France Italy Switzerland. My home to Barcelona was 1500 miles about.

Cars were Renault R16 1725 cc Auto with OIL COOLER on the box. a Renault 20 TS 2000cc Auto with cooler fitted as standard on Auto.

Over the ALPS up in the snow line. Over French Alps to Switzerland.

Usual over ride brakes on the VAN (RV)

Miles over 4 weeks holiday Circa 5000. No problems ever. But well maintained before setting out. On the French Autoroutes if you were doing say 50mph on occasions the police would pull along side and say ALEE ALEE as in get a move on.

So just enjoy the trip.

In passing we used to put steaks in metal foil containers on the top of the engine and one on the oil cooler. And get a well done beautiful steak done in 1 hour. A real treat. My kids called it " Steak Manifold"

Enjoy

Johnny UK.

Reply to
JM

Camrys transmissions are expensive. Put in an oil cooler and temp gauge, only 3-500, or the smart way is Rent a vehicle dont kill yours

Reply to
m Ransley

Any car rentals (esp. from majors like Hertz) that rent cars with hitches preinstalled (hitch ball and lights connector)?

Reply to
maruk2

Why dont you rent a small penske. A friend of mine moved and they even give you some storage time till you find a place in the new city....

Why put a strain on your car which is only 3 years old....

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
learnfpga

Even the smallest truck costs min $1100 for my route, plus $200-300 car carrier/dolly, plus taxes, insurance, and huge gas consumption for a truck

Reply to
maruk2

Well....if you add all that up that will be about 2000 bucks.....

I am not an expert in cars but what if something goes wrong with the car and then you try to have it fixed.......

If I were you I would bite the bullet and try to f> snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
learnfpga

Well, to do this right, you're looking at roughly $500-$600 bucks to get the hitch and transmission cooler installed (transmission temp gauge optional, but it won't add much to the cost, and will at least warn you if the tranny is starting to overheat). Quite a bit less if you can do most of the work yourself, as the parts themselves aren't too bad.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Once a year I tow a boat and gear about 300 miles on the highway at speeds of 60-65mph. I also take the boat for short trips 20-30 miles locally in Wisconsin. I did this with my previous 2001 Camry 4cyl and do it now with my

2005 Camry 4cyl.. The weight I am towing is about 1300 lbs. including the gear plus 2 adults & 1 child in the car. The car handles it fine as long as you leave additional room for braking an go easy on acceleration. I'm not sure in my situation I would want to tow much more weight than the 1300lbs even though the car is rated to tow 2000 lbs.. The gas mileage really drops also. I'm sure it puts extra wear on the vehicle but nothing I ever noticed on my 2001 after owning 4.5 years. I also change the oil right before these trips. For the cost of adding an adequate hitch and light hook-up it would probably make more sense to rent a small truck.

My towing kinda POs my buddies that "have to have a pickup truck" because they use the excuse that they couldn't have a car because they have to haul stuff (which they hardly ever do). Then I point to my 4x4 trailer and say for the once or twice a year I haul, I use the little trailer on my Camry and rest of the time I get over 30mpg, and their wives just stare them. Quite the price for a macho man image I say. hehe

Steve

Reply to
Roadrunner Newsgroup

. I'm not

yeah!!! that is a diet even the japanese could not touch. i think you missed your calling. you should have been a mathematician. unified field theory, anyone?

Reply to
marika

Engineer, you mean. Engineers would put in a large-ish (at least 10%, often more) safety factor to work below the rated maximum of anything with a rated maximum.

Wouldn't mathematicians like to put on, say, 1999.99 lbs on the car?

Just my one Philippine peso (two cents) worth... ;-)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

What to do, what to do. LOL

mk5000

"It was with much pleasure that I read today that the Nylex Plastics Company will pay the approximately $300,000 to restore the famous Nylex Clock, a Melbourne icon which sits above the No. 2 Cremorne Silos in Richmond. The Nylex Clock which was erected in 1961, is a much-loved Melbourne icon, perhaps not so much for its aesthetics, but its utilitarian value.The sign consists of metal shallow-trough letters reading "Nylex Plastics", outlined with incandescent lights and neon tubes. Above the sign sits an LED clock that shows the time as well as the temperature. "--adam dimech

Reply to
marika