Towing a rental trailer with a TJ...

Hiya, folks...

I'm moving from Florida to California in January. I don't have all that much stuff to take with me, just enough to barely fill a small U-Haul trailer. The only problem is, upon researching trailer pricing, U-Haul won't rent a trailer when the towing vehicle has a soft top, which my 2000 Wrangler has. They said something about safety hazards. I'm still researching that crap.

Anyway, does anyone here know of another place that rents trailers for one-way travel? or maybe why U-Haul is giving me this crap over the soft top? They suggested that I rent a truck AND a trailer to tow my Jeep which seems somewhat reversely ironic I suppose, but the that quadruples the cost of just renting the trailer.

Anyway... any thoughts, my fellow Jeepers?

Thanks.

Reply to
ScriptLizard

L.W.(ßill)

Why... you riding with me to Cal E Foonya?

Reply to
ScriptLizard

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Approximately 10/25/03 13:48, ScriptLizard uttered for posterity:

If you have enough to consider renting a truck, the trailer would be to big for a Wrangler. How much was the rental from U*Hell? It might be cheaper to either ship your stuff or consider buying a small lightweight utility trailer.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

No one will rent to a soft top I think.

I could be way off base here, but I think it has something to do with the exhaust vortexing in front of the tall trailer and between the vehicle making carbon monoxide poisoning an issue.

Even running with no back window and the front ones closed will kill you. Open fronts and open back is fine, but the air still sucks in the back and goes out the front windows. The wind still hits the back of your head.

Your TJ is also legally limited to a 2000 lb trailer.

Mike

ScriptLizard wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I cannot personally attest to this, but it has been posted here several times by Jeep owners that U-Haul will not rent to a vehicle that has a softop. Obviously, they think such a vehicle is too light to safely handle a trailer.

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

What ever you do DO NOT RENT FROM UHAUL!!!! They are by far and away the worst rental company out there. I needed to rent an open trailer to move a car and a truck to another state. They told me it was unsafe to tow an empty trailer and I would need to rent the trailer one way, more than doubling the cost. BTW it is safe to tow an empty trailer, just more Uhaul crap.

Rather than rent you might want to consider buying a buying a good used trailer and selling it when you get where you are going. You may well be able to sell the trailer for what you paid. I have a 5x8 utility trailer that looks something like this:

and it is very handy to have. I've towed my trailer all over the place behind my TJ. Drive safe keep your load under 2,000# (including the weight of the trailer) and you'll be fine with this size trailer.

Dean BTW I'm now looking for my own used trailer to move those cars on

Reply to
Dean

I've seen a few SWB Jeeps pulling those small U-Hauls down the highway and "tail wagging the dog" immediately comes to mind. Saw one coming back from Denver last week and I'm not sure how he kept from rolling the whole thing up in a ball when the trailer started weaving - I stood one the brakes and had all 4 wheels squalling figuring I was going to 1) have to miss him somehow and 2) he was gonna need some help real soon. Those trailers have too short a tongue and you have too little wheelbase to be any fun at all.

Reply to
Will Honea

This does not explain why they rent to hardtop TJs.

If I were the OP, I would borrow a friend's hard top for 15 minutes, rent the trailer, then drive back to my friend's house and remove the hardtop. Problem solved.

Reply to
Eric Jermain

You aren't going to get much extra protection in a roll over with a plastic hardtop !

Reply to
Dave Milne

It depends on the U-Haul outlet. The two that I've visited had no problem renting a trailer to me, soft top and all. A third that I had gone to (as well as the corporate website) said "no" because it was a soft top.

The reasoning, from what I can fathom, is that a hard top offers more protection to the driver if something should happen to the trailer - there's something solid surrounding the driver, as opposed to just a rollbar and some canvas and plastic.

My advice to soft top owners is to call around, even if it means it's a little bit further away. They are out there. =)

Tirya

-- TDC Inca Jeeper A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep.

Reply to
Tirya

I don't think the OP has "enough to consider renting a truck" - I think U-Haul suggested he "rent a truck" so that he can tow a vehicle dolly with it, with his Jeep on the dolly. Which, if his move was anything like mine, means that he would be driving a hella-expensive, three-quarters empty truck that he'd have to pay mileage and gas for, just so he could pull the dolly with the Jeep.

The empty weight on a U-Haul 5x8' trailer is approximately 900 pounds (4x8' -

750lbs, 4x6' - 670lbs). Maximum hauling capacity for a TJ is 2000 pounds. Get the smallest trailer you can (obviously!). In theory you should be able to use a Class I hitch (max weight 2,000 lbs gross trailer, 200 lbs tongue weight), but IMHO you'd be better off getting a Class II or III hitch that has a 2" receiver, as the accessories for the 2" receiver are IMHO better. =)

Be careful how you load the trailer (weight distribution is key), keep your speed reasonable, remember that mountains are going to be a pain in the a$$ (both up and down), and be sure your swaybar is connected. Pay attention to trucks passing you and be ready for the backblast of wind.

Good luck!

Tirya

-- TDC Inca Jeeper A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep.

Reply to
Tirya

The wheelbase is not the issue, you need to have at least 10% of the weight on the tongue. In this case you should be looking at a couple hundred pounds or so. If you don't grunt when you hook it up, its not heavy enough.

You can get another effect if the load is t> >

Reply to
Roy

If you insist on renting, use a friend's pick-up, go home and hook it to the jeep get an open topped box, from Ryder. Better off, buy a kit trailer, 2 spare tires, pack the weight low and tarp it well. Best yet, don't come to california, too many people, fires, earthquakes, leftist politicians,etc.

Reply to
Paul Calman

You know, I never gave that cg shift any thought but it sure makes sense when you look at it. Add "pack the heavy stuff low" to the check list.

The issue with the short trailer is that it is a bitch to back as well as be> The wheelbase is not the issue, you need to have at least 10% of

Reply to
Will Honea

Ridiculous. The hardtop is for protection from the elements only and doesn't do beans for restraining passengers inside or protecting you in an accident. The owner's manual has specific words to this effect, and if memory serves, there is also a warning label on the hard top that reminds the unwary of this.

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

Carbon monoxide poisoning is my guess.

A trailer causes the exhaust to vortex behind the vehicle.

Mike

Mike Romain

I think that it is to prevent harpoon related accidents. If you are carrying a bundle of razor-sharp harpoons, strapped point first to the top of a U-Haul box trailer with cheap bungie cords, and you have to stop short, a soft top and plastic rear window isn't going to do much to prevent stabbing of the driver, passenger, and the console too. A hard top and its tempered glass rear window at least provide some degree of protection.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

That seems to be the most logical answer. If you have the top down, it's probably not an issue.

Harpoons? prob not, how about bunglebees and whorseflys?

Reply to
Paul Calman