Anybody know if stereo installation on a '92 Camry involves taking the whole dash out?

I had to do that in an '89 Celica and don't want to do it again. Crutchfield used to show it on line but now you have to pay for the info.

Reply to
Butzmark

If yours is like my '90 Camry, then no, you don't have to remove the dash. In mine, there's a plastic frame surrounding the stereo, heater controls, and ashtray. There are two screws at the top of the frame. You remove the two screws and pull. Way back in '90, I had the instructions from Crutchfield and thought I was doing something wrong and would break that frame, because it seemed to be bending. I called Crutchfield and they said I was doing it right. So I kept pulling and the frame came out. After that, you can get at everything.

BK

Reply to
3vn5l9b02

Use a screwdriver and pry under the two bottom rounded corners of the frame surrounding the Head unit and storage cubby.. It should just pop out.. Then lift the corners of the frame up and out and it will just come off.. Don't pry the top, or middle...the frame actually hooks under the dash fascia at the top edge and acts like a hinge.

Using a longish (at least 6") Phillips screwdrvier ("+" head) remove the 4 screws at each corner of the mounting frame. The right side screws are easy to see. The left side screws are a bit deeper. The entire metal frame with the radio and cubby pocket should simply pull out in one piece.

Un-clip the two connectors at the back ( the bigger connector is for the speakers, the smaller one is power and other control signals) and pull out the antenna plug and the radio assembly should now be free.

Using the same phillips screwdriver undo the 4 screws on the side of the radio (two per side) you then need to flex the frame a bitbecasue there are locatiog tabs, but the radio will eventually slide right out..

Slide your new head unit in and using the same screws you just removed put everyting back together in reverse order...

15 mintue job - tops (not including hooking up the wireing harness so the new radio gets power and a signal to the speakers

Hope this helps...

Reply to
GrantTPC

Thanks allot for the replies.