battery question (98 camry LE 92k miles)

Hi,

From last week, I noticed the battery in my 98 Camry LE (4 cyl; 92k miles) is not good. I measured the voltage right after 10-20 min driving, it's 10.2V. And it's maintenance free battery from Panasonic (i think it's original from factory although I bought this car at 70k). And the inspection window says "IT NEEDS CHARGING".

Sometimes like a day after last driving, engine starting takes definitely longer than before. Do I need to replace this battery or can I just charge it and wait untill it dies? Please help me....

FYI, two month ago this battery was fully discharged due to parking lights turned on for 10-12 hours.

I appreciate your advice, thanks.

Yoonsoo

Reply to
ys

Time for a new battery unless you like being stranded.

Reply to
ROBMURR

If you have fully charge the battery two month ago and now it is dead again - it definitely needs replacement if you wish to rely on you car in the nearest future. If you have not charge it, and you was not driving hard since then,, you could try to charge it and have a look what's going to be after.

By the way, if you have time and wish to play that games, sometime "re-formatting" of the dead battery could increase it's capacity: for that battery has to pass several (I would advise 2-3) cycles full charge - full discharge. You could short the battery on a standard bulb to diacharge it, or leave parking lights on again(-: In some "hard cases" special charging regimes could also help - using up to 10x of nominal charging current or pulsing charging current, but you have to look for a special eqipment to do this stuff.

Good luck! (-:

ys wrote:

Reply to
Vassa