Best year for Toyota

Okay. I have a 1988 with 205K miles, mechanically strong, body is rusting away though [spent too much time at the beach]. I figure I have another year or so before I put it out to pasture. What model/year is the best of the Toyota line? I heard 94 Camry, but don't really know.

Reply to
George and Jurate

Nobody can say, I had an 88 with a defective trans at 15000 miles, it would not shift to second. Its how you take care of them that counts.

Reply to
m Ransley

Mark's right - maintenance makes a huge difference, although Camrys are actually fairly durable unless severely neglected. I bought some years ago, but at that time everyone I talked to loved their 1994. I asked the lead Toyota mechanic and he said all years were essentially the same. '92-'96 is Generation 3, with dual front air bags and 134a refrigerant beginning in '94. Just read recently the '96 had external ignition coils, as does my California version '94. I'm not as knowledgeable about the newer years, and of course, there's now the new '07. Newer (after 2002?) include variable valve timing. Would expect any of the Toyotas would hold up well if properly cared for.

Reply to
Daniel

'89-'91 were the last years of "Generation 2" so if you didn't mind the lower power level and auto seat belts, those can be very reliable. Plus, being older, the prices can be extremely reasonable.

Reply to
Daniel

Yeah, the ~1988 generation was considered to be the best. But we don't go out to buy 20 year old cars.

Generally the quality slipped a bit and dropped a lot after the 1997 genearation. The new ULEV engines introduced that year have sludge problems. Look on the bright side, Camrys have gotten cheaper relatively.

I thought by 2006 (last year of that generation) most problems would be solved. But looks like wimpy brakes, clunking suspension noises, and jerky transmissions (as if searching for the right gear at downshift) still are the problems.

The 2007 had 20% of its tranny parts thrown out. What's really improved over the years is the cost cutting! We'll see about the reliability of that tranny.

Reply to
johngdole

Jongdole I say bullshit, post a link to 20% of camry transmission parts thrown out.

Reply to
m Ransley