93 Camry Transmission - Won't Go In Reverse

My 1993 Toyota Camry LE has developed a transmission problem. When I shift into reverse the car will not move. It moves in forward gears fine. But not in reverse. So it appears I have a problem with the reverse gear and the question is what do I do about it? The car has 165,000 miles on it. I'm told that it has a rear main engine seal leak, too. But that problem doesn't bother me. I need only to put a quart of oil in every now and then. It runs like a charm aside from the reverse problem.

I'm leaning towards donating the car for a tax deduction. Is it possible that all that is needed is an inexpensive band adjustment? If I can get the transmission problem fixed cheaply enough I can probably sell the car for $1,500.

Any advice?

Reply to
dejola

When is the last time your oil and filter were changed, Is there a reverse linkage that may be loose? It Happened to me once, oil was clean but a new filter and oil fixed it.

Reply to
m Ransley

I have a 93 Camry with 88,000 KM (Approx 50,000 mile) on it.,he car is a cream-puff but in the past two weeks the vehicle would not go into reverseabout 20% of the time The trans oil was changed at the 66,000 km mark -30,000 miles and the color and look of it is fine.. The rest of the shifting works just fine. I just took it to my local transmission shop where I trust the quality and the honesty of the owner and staff. He just told me that the clutches are more than likely the problem and it is big $$$$ to repair. Once it is apart I will know and see the actual problems.

My question is; as this vehicle is just barely broken in after 12 years of easy driving is thereany come back to going to Toyota to help pay the repair bill if it is a whopper? Has anyone had any luck getting compensation on a low mileage older car such as this. I am the 2nd owner by the way and with this exception th ecar has always been servicd at a Toyota Dealer - I just don't like the local guy where I live.

Thanks for any help

Gary W Calgary Canada

Reply to
gw

Try changing the oil and filter again first , debris can mess things up. Mine had 10000 on the oil it slipped its OK 2 yrs later.

Reply to
m Ransley

Done that already - it is now being pulled apart so I will know more on monday

Reply to
gw

I have the same problem with my 93. What did you find out?

Reply to
diniman58

Can u post what was the diagnosis for the problem. I have the same problem with my transmission and am looking for a cost effective way to fix it. This is the second time I am fixing it. It happended in 97 and changed the tranny. Now it is happening agsin. Can't believe it. Looks like I can recover without investing a lot of money into changing the transmission. I love the car and hate to scrap it.

Please please please respond Thanks

Reply to
vvv

Low mileage and easy driving with clean fluid will not wear out the clutches. Problem would be elsewhere - most likely valve body.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Sorry to say I had to replace the transmission. After tearing into the tranny I found that not only was reverse gone but the overdrive as well. I did get a good deal on a used tranny through a company listed on the internet (Mieko Engines & Transmissions)in California that carries salvaged trans from Japan. Turns out that the used one has less than 50K miles on it and is warrantied for 3 months or 3K miles. Cost was 700.00 US plus 125.00 for shipping. It cost me

350.00 to have a certified tech pull the blown one and have the used one installed. After the work was done it runs fantastic. In my eyes it was worth the cost considering the cost of a decent used car. Sorry that it took so long to get back to you.

Take care and write back if you have any more questions.

Mike Orlandini

Reply to
diniman58