Boyfriend put R134a into R12 AC system!

Before going out of town last week, I complained to my boyfriend that the air in my 93 Camry wasn't cold. While I was gone, he "surprised" me by adding R134a to the system, even adding on some kind of special fittings that came in a kit. He did not get the freon out first. It blows cold air now, but how long will this last? I hadn't gotten it fixed before because I can't afford the conversion cost at the auto parts place right now. Will this destroy my AC? Is there anything I can do to fix this on the cheap?

Please help!

Elsa

Reply to
Elsa

I'm not sure but I believe you're screwed. I don't think they're compatible...

Here's what to do...just vent the whole mees into the atmosphere! Yeah, that's the ticket!

R-12 is available as low as $35 a lb, all the way up to $90/lb! Call around! Don't use it and get it evacuated...let him pay!!!

Also, how much did he put in? My manual said 4.5 LBS. Anybody else wanna tell Elsa how much it's *supposed* to take? Hint: I don't like cream, I like Half-and-Half...

Compressor lasted about 3 weeks after that fiasco! (James Cagney voice here: 'Boom, see,...Boom!')

Reply to
HachiRoku

Now that's a responsible thing to tell her to do isn't it!

Pat

Reply to
Pat Sproule

It's a joke, I saw it's a joke, son!

You did see where I told her to take the whole mess to a garage and have it evacuated, right?

Besides, anybody who would fill a system with a sticker saying "R-12 Refrigerant" with R-134 probably already vented it long before I said anything...

Reply to
HachiRoku