Bucking Camry

Hey all,

First off, let me just say that I really don't know what I am talking about. I'm like one of those people who just learned what a steering wheel is! HAHAH

Here is my problem: I have a (great!) '93 Camry, manual, 4 cylinder engine. If I don't have alot of Gas in the tank, and I try to accelerate a little bit faster (lets say to pass a car for example), the car will buck. By bucking i mean that the car reacts as if I had "redlined" it. It cuts off nice and clean, will automatically start accellerating again, and then will cut off once again. It does not sound as if it is going to choke or anything. It really sounds like I hit a cutoff point. The only thing is: it can cut off at 2500 RPM, then at 3500, then at 4500.

Funny part: If I fill up the tank to the max, it doesn't do it anymore. The emptyer my tank is, the easier (and at lower rpm) it will buck.

Anyone have any ideas? I have changed the gas filter and it does not change much. The spark plugs are also in good shape, as is the wireing.

Thanks,

Alex

Reply to
afata5

Have someone check the ignition coil inside the distributor cap. That "cut out" type of behaviour is usually symptomatic of an electrical problem and the coil seems a common source. Unless it's got the coil outside the distributor, then I'd look at the fuel pump.

Reply to
Daniel

Sounds like sediment in the tank.

Reply to
jg

Sounds like the sock in the fuel tank is partially blocked or the pickup tube has a crack or hole in it. Should be able to determine if it's in fuel tank by doing a fuel pressure test. HTH, Dave

Reply to
davidj92

So what do you need to know you dont already know. You wont fix it yourself since your no mechanic and a mechanic will look into the tank. Right.

Reply to
m Ransley

Alex have you checked to see if the vacuum filter is plugged? As you burn the gas some air has to get in the tank to replace the gas that you burned out. In the old days the sometimes the gas cap would be replaced with an unvented one. Just a suggestion!

Reply to
doolittle & sitmore