Camry 02 timimg belt replacment

My 02 Camry has 100k miles and I am taking in in for timing belt replacement, my question is should I replace the water pump at the same time or not, the water pump is just fine without any leaks.

Reply to
Jack

Well, I haven't seen many waterpumps make it to 200k miles, so keep in mind if you hold off now and end up having to replace the pump before the next tbelt replacement interval, you will be paying for all this labor again, as you have to remove the tbelt to get to the water pump.

Reply to
qslim

After years of telling car buyers how timing belts are quieter and better than chains, the 2.4L engine now gets a timing chain. ;)

The pump is easier to get to than the timing belt driven one. If you decide to wait on the pump then you have to keep an eye out for leaks.

Jack wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Reply to
BigJim

cut a 3 inch hole in upper timing chain cover.

take a good look at topside and teeth side of belt, while assistant is advancing motor a click at a time.

i replaced water pump timing belt etc on 94 v6 at 111,000 miles

they all looked like new.

since then i have two 99 v6 both with holes as above

one has 110,000 other 160,000

i will replace belt and pump at first sign of trouble

best regards

I have...twice!

I have never replaced the pump in my "hachiroku" It's the original pump with 258,000 on it!

I also had a Tercel with the original pump at 210,000. Just lucky?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Nope. Original pump on 90 Camry with 230,000.Nervier liked the idea of "just replace this part as precaution". Instead, "Replace only if there is a problem".

Based on some of the advices here, it's probably safer just to replace the car every few years.

Reply to
ZR

No, not on the hachi or tercel, or older early 90s Camrys. I'm specifically talking about the new gen 1MZs. Not all Toyota engines have been created equally...

Reply to
qslim

True, they don't make them like they used to ;)

qslim wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Why? I used to get a new car every two years. Then, my '78 Corolla got wrecked, and the dude's insuracne co. graciously gave me $500 less than I paid for it, so I bought an '80 Corolla SR-5. It got hit when it was a year old while I was inside eating supper.

When the repair started ruting from the inside 5 years later I traded it for an '85 Corolla GTS...it's still in my backyard. It has 258,000 on it and still runs. My Supra has about 200K on it and runs great.

And that '80 Corolla had 242,000 when I traded it.

Reply to
Hachiroku

My '93 Camry has 246K and still has the original water pump -- and muffler. Bulletproof.

butch

Reply to
butch