Camry 92: How to determine if Fuel Gage no longer working ?

Last week, I filled my tank with 3 gallons after the fuel gage showed near empty. I didn't pay attention to the gage as I was only a few blocks from my home. The following morning I noticed the gage was pointing to almost full mark. When I turn the ignition off, the gage did not return to the empty position. I always thought that it should.

So I thought perhaps my fuel gage was no longer working.

A week later, I ran into a neighbor and he described the same thing happening to him at the same gas station. He assumed that the gas pumps were pumping more gas than we were being charged, due to very cold weather.

Besides letting the tank go down to empty, is there better way to determine if the gage is still functioning.

If there was no other easy way, I plan to continue driving and see if the needle goes down to empty. If it doesn't and I run out of gas, I'll have a gallon gas container handy. Is this a resaonable plan?

I am the original owner and have never run out of gas before. Will I damage anything on a 92 camry 4 cylinder automatic? Will 1 gallon be enough if I run out of gas?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Reply to
galaxygazer

Run it out of gas on purpose , bad idea as you will suck in all the crap on the bottom of your tank, everything thats acumulated for 12 years, probably a gallon of junk and water, and running a fuel pump dry can kill it . Fill it up and monitor MPG

Reply to
m Ransley