Camry Crankshaft Pulley Separating

My crankshaft pulley had slid away from the engine block; I was able to tap it back into place but was wondering if its OK to drive like this or should I replace it?

The crankshaft bolt seems to be tight, there is a rubber thing (like a slip clutch?), that it was slipping out across.

Thanks!

Jess

Reply to
None

tap

should

slip

It needs replacing. Has the pulley been exposed to an oil leak? Sometimes the rubber insert between the outer and inner hub goes off abit and cant hold together.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Jason,

Thanks for the reply - I will replace it. Could this have screwed up my crankshaft too?

I think what happened - I hope this save somebody else the aggravation! - was that I had used a pulley puller on to get the crankshaft pulley off at one time to change the timing belt. Perhaps this messed it up; in looking over my repair manuals they say not to do this.

Jess

Reply to
None

That will do it. You needed to use the threaded holes as a puller attachment point,..but you probably realise that now.

The pulley, even though compromised, will most likely not cause damage to your crank. The first sign of harmonic damage would be a broken crank.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Thank you Jason!