Camry trans problem

Hi. A good freind of mine has a '99 4cyl Camry with the 4 speed auto trans. The car has 180,000 miles and has always ran great. Last week while driving the check engine light came on and they noticed the car felt sluggish. I drove the car and the reason it feels sluggish is because the car starts from a stop in 2nd gear. Even if you pull the selector to low, the car still starts off in 2nd gear. Also noticed high revs at highway speed. 4th gear is also gone. car runs in 2nd and 3rd only. We took it to Auto-zone and the scanner says , shift solinoid B malfunction. This week end we pulled the pan on the trans. It was very clean with no metal filings or abnormal anything. the magnets in the pan were clean and the fluid was red with no burnt smell. I found the two solinoids one is on the front side of the valve body and one is on the rear side. I took them both out and ohm tested them. They both read the same value of 14. Does anyone here have any idea which one is sol A and which one is sol B ? Does anybody know of a site where we can find info on this trans? I am thinking this is some sort of electrical failure. Even though this car had high miles it just does not show any signs of a major failure. would apreciate any help anybody out there knows of. Scott

Reply to
zonie

I'm looking on Google to try and find out the trans model, but no luck. Look on the plate under the hood and see if ait says A340. These trannies are notorious for chewing up solenoids (You's think in ten years they'd know that)

Look through some of the Camry posts; there are a few links to a TSRM somewhere, or perhaps someone else will post it.

Basically, the soleniods "gum up" and go bad, and the only recourse AFAIK is to replace them. There are aftermarket ones. For the A340 the Toyota soleniods are >$125 each. There's one place where you can get a complete set for

Reply to
Hachiroku