Cleaning Throttle Body/Plate

It has been a while since I last cleaned the throttle body/plate on my 91 with a V6 and it is starting to idle a bit rough after the car is fully warmed up. Therefore, I am going to try a cleaning it again. Based on past experience, my question regards whether one can actually keep the engine running as recommended in the directions. You have to take the air filter box and its hose off to get to the TB and that takes quite a bit of time. Then my car won't start or run when this stuff is disconnected. Furthermore, it takes me quite a bit of time to put it all back together in order to get things running and then take the car out and drive it as per the instructions.

It seems to me that you really need to keep the engine running in order to move the temporarily-liquefied gunk moving through the system or it will just goo back up somewhere else.

Any thoughts, tips or suggestions on an improved workflow would be appreciated.

Thanks, Doug

Reply to
-

As you've discovered, any engine with an air flow sensor between the air filter and the throttle body won't run when the large diameter hose connecting the air filter housing to the TB is leaking / removed. So, the really "right" thing to do here ... and to protect your O² sensor, is to remove the entire TB to the workbench and have it with an aerosol cleaner.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

In news:KTm1c.17206$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net,

- being of bellicose mind posted: