Code P0171 System too Lean? Toyota Camry 97

I went to get my car checked out after the check engine light went on and I was told that the front exhaust pipe is leaking. They estimated a cost of 1358 to replace the pipe, and said there may possibly be a problem with the sensor.

I'm a car novice, but I'm not willing to shell out 1358 beans to replace a car that is almost 10yr old. Has anyone ever changed their own exhausted pipe or patched it up? If so how much did it cost and how much time did it take?

Reply to
peter.vuong

A dealer price? get other prices, I am suprised that people even go to dealers for work after the warranty is expired, dealers are rip offs.

Reply to
m Ransley

I had a similar situation last fall on our 95 Camry LE.

It failed state inspection (at the public DMV inspection station) due to an "exhaust leak".

I took it to the dealer service dept, and they 'diagnosed' it as requiring a new exhaust pipe **as well as** manifold (which they said was also cracked). The estimate $$ were outrageous.....somewhere around

1500-2000 if I remember correctly.

Well, I said "no thanks" and took it instead to an independent mechanic whom I trust. He installed a 'flex pipe' to replace the leaking exhaust component, and reinspected it/issued a new sticker .... all for under $300 (again if I remember correctly) and it was ready to pick up by noon that same day.

No wonder that dealer service has such a bad rep.

Reply to
Justa Lurker

Thanks a lot guys really appreciate the help

Reply to
peter.vuong