Dirty engine components after repair

The dealership just replaced the rear engine mount on my 4 cylinder 2001 Camry with 48,860 miles on it. (Was diagnosed due to very loud thud that occurred once every time the car was started.) They had the car for several days (wrong initial diagnosis, parts not in stock). A couple of days after i got it back, i checked under the hood and there is a lot of soot on many of the components. It is particularly noticeable on the fuel injector housing, the engine valve cover, etc., but it is all over everything. I can safely say that it was all pretty clean before i took the car in, since i did try to figure out what was causing the thud. I'm not sure whether the soot is still accumulating. Should i worry about this? The car doesn't seem to perform as well as it did.

As a side note, i now can't run the car with external air open - smells like repair shop.

Thanks!

-- margie

Reply to
mago

You could have them clean it but they will want to charge you.. Call Toyota for help

Reply to
m Ransley

several

after

can

like

This is another example of slackmanship in the service bay. They have done something in the shop which has dumped this stuff in your engine bay. It could be worse,..I' had a car come back with spray-paint overspray from another job speckled all over my car's paint.

Ring them, or if they are close-by, take the car back and ask for a proper cleanup,...if they have the gall to try and charge you,..walk away and make a complaint to Toyota's head-office.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Fact that it doesn't run as well and smells with vent open indicates they knocked off a hose or something. No reason changing an engine mount would get engine dirty. If they are conviently located take it back and have them look at it -- or try to find yourself and clear off soot.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Mechanics get grease all over their hands when they work on cars. Then they hold touch certain parts of your engine with their greasy hands. They have to do this but they should clean it up too. I would complain to the service writer and insist that they clean the engine free of charge.

Reply to
Viperkiller

If it is truly soot, that would be airborne contaminants that settled on exposed engine components while the car sat waiting in the service shop with the hood open. Could be as simple as blowing it clean with a light dusting of compressed air, which would be simple, quick, effective and free.

But if that were the case, the car body should also be coated with soot. Perhaps they washed the car before delivery to the customer? (but with the hood closed)

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus