307 whirring noise after engine turned off

Hello Peeps,

My 24000 mile 2 year old 307 Hdi DT was in last week to have a squeaky flywheel fixed; was done under warranty. That was 10 days ago and have used the car quite a bit since. Did a 70 mile journey this morning and all fine. Came home this evening and (70 miles back that is), turned the car off as normal and there was a very obvious whirring noise from in the engine compartment.

Couldn't really pinpoint whether it was from front/back/left/right. Put the key back in the ignition and it stopped. Started car and it was fine, turned it off and it started whirring again. Turned the ignition on again but didn't start the engine and the whirring stopped. Then turned the ignition off and .... came in here and posted on this ng!!

Anybody any ideas??

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Reply to
Phil C

Possibly the electric fan -- check for airflow through the radiator

Reply to
Chris

If weather temp is high, 25 C or more, I think - it is normal. Then fan runing sometimes(1-5 min, depend how hot engine is) and it stop.

Open motorcover and listening - what you hear?

Reply to
Ilkka Maatta

Hi Guys,

Thanks for athat. Yup, I think it might just have been the fan. For the last 20 miles of the trip home I really enjoyed myself on a road I know really well. The 307 110 DT rally can crack along on roads like that. The handling is absolutely superb and plenty of useful speed in 3rd and 4th gear. After the 20 mile thrash it was about 3 miles to home at a steady lick. It wasn't a particularly warm evening and I didn't notice the temperture gauge reading unusually high ... but it could have been. I've done a couple of 40 mile trips today and not noticed it .... so I'll put it down to me working it just a bit harder than it is used to.

See ya,

Reply to
Phil C