Distributor O-ring, 1995 4cyl 140k

Thanks for suggesting the distributor O-ring as the source of my oil leak...Right On. The seal was hard as a rock, brittle and worn. Oil dripping everywhere. Was not too difficult a job, and removing the air intake/filter assembly helped give room to get that bottom distributor bolt. I did the cap and rotor at the same time: fair amount of carbon buildup/corrosion on both. Looks like I should have done all this around

100-120k miles.

When shooting the ignition timing I found it diffult to really line up the marks to the 10 degrees BTDC recommended on the VECI label, but it looked close, so I left it. I've heard others discuss "advancing the timing" -- what does this do, and how is it done?

VC gasket/PCV is next, then timing belt - anyone have advice for when to replace the water pump, or how to check it?

Reply to
camry-keeper

"Advancing the timing" means to have the spark sooner than the standard setting. You car for example will mean 12 degrees BTDC instead of 10 degrees. I don't suggest it as it will increase the chances of your car to knock (or ping). This will then require a higher octane fuel. The only advantage is that you have a slight power increase.

When to replace the water pump? Depends. If you have an internal water pump, replace it when you replace your timing belt. Most Toyota's have an external one so they would only need replacing when water starts to leak from it. The leaking water is the sign that the water pump is bad.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Did you put a jumper wire (paper clip) in the DLC1 (data link connector) under the hood prior to setting the timing? (E1 and TE1, I think, but double check a manual first) That disables the electronic advance, so the timing doesn't jump around.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Yes, had a warm engine, Neutral, No accessories running and had the jumper in place...Maybe I need more light, but it seemed really hard to tell the difference between 10 and 12 degrees...don't they have a digital readout? ha ha. Car runs fine, though, and I lined up the marks I made on the distributor/head, so it should be in exactly the same alignment. Thanks!

Reply to
camry-keeper