Distributor O-Ring on 90 Camry?

My 90 Camry is leaking oil at the distributor. I took out the distributor. But I didn't see any obvious o-ring or gasket (on the Valve Cover side) that can be replaced. The only thing I saw is a black soft thing (looks like an o-ring) embedded in the middle of the shaft ( valve cover side). I don't see how it can be replaced because the shaft looks like a whole piece and can not be separated.

Is that black ring the distributor O-Ring? How can I replace it? Cut it off? a trick to separate the shaft in half to take it out?

Or my only option is to replace the distributor? Really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on this car.

Thanks for your help!

ZR

Reply to
ZR

You're making it too complicated. The "black soft thing" that "looks like an O-ring embedded in the middle of the shaft" -- that's it. I used a small tool from a "hook and pick" set I acquired to change the oil seals in connection with timing belt replacement. You just sort of carefully dig it out with a curved sharp pointy instrument put a bit of engine oil on the new O-ring and slip it into place, then re set the distributor ignition timing.

Reply to
Daniel

While you have it out remove and clean the coil and everything inside with electronics cleaner and alcohol. All that oil residue causes electrical problems

Reply to
m Ransley