Electric Problem, battery and alternator are fine. 1984 camry

I can jump start it and it runs fine, but when I let it sit for a day or so there is not enough power to start the car again. The lights can go on, but there is not enough power to start the engine. I just bought a new battery 3 months ago and had it tested yesterday and it is fine, I took out the alternator and had it tested and its fine. I also used a wire brush and cleaned up all of the connections. If it is not the alternator or battery and the car jump starts fine, what could be the problem? Thank you very much for any help!!!!!

-- Message posted using

information at

billy269

With the engine off, disconnect the positive wire from the battery and connect an ammeter between the battery and the lead you just disconnected. If the current is more than a few milliamps to keep the clock alive, you have a ground leak somewhere.

Reply to
Nobody Important

The load of the starter should be tested, What is battery V after a day, it should be near 13.5. The cables at the battery may be fine but not on the other connection.

Reply to
ransley

Right on! I don't know where the consensus is in terms of mA amount, depending on electronics (clock, ECU memory, alarm, etc). But with over a few hundred mA it's definitely in trouble.

Reply to
johngdole

I would look towards the EARTH STRAP too especially the connection at the chassis end.

The started draws a lot of current and any resistance built up there with corrosion is bad.

If you have a volt meter you might just measure the volts in static Circa

12.6 volts. When it fired up and the alternator is rotating look for a rise to maybe Circa 14.5 volts. These measurements should be DIRECT at the battery terminals.

Maybe remove both these main battery cables and clean up anyway.

Yes the other good comment is Leakage with a meter on CURRENT in series with either battery terminal.

Let us know what you find

Johnny UK

Reply to
JM