Finding the rubber washer / gasket for the oil dipstick

Hello everyone,

Rather than picking up that black rubber washer from my local AutoZone for $2, can anyone recommend a different site for me to go and get this rubber washer from? That's just ridiculous for a rubber washer that serves no purpose than to hold the dipstick somewhat tightly in place. I was considering just going to a junkyard and getting a replacement dipstick for that price. I'd rather do that than allow someone to charge me that amount for that washer.

I'm not to worried about it, I've been running for the past week without it. The dipstick feels a bit loose in there, but that's about it. It crumbled in my hand while I was at a gas station checking my oil level. So it didn't fall in the oil. I've got a 2000 Camry LE with 197K.

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe

It's probably an O-ring as opposed to a washer (i.e. circular cross section as opposed to rectangular). Measure the diameter of the shaft with a pair of calipers or look for a bag of assorted O-rings in the approximate size.

Reply to
Nobody Important

Thanks for clarifying the terminology. So, where do I go about getting this bag o' o-rings? :)

Reply to
Joe

How about just going to the dealer and buy one? I know HomeDepot doesn't have the right size. ;)

Reply to
johngdole

:) Yeah, see, I've got this thing about overpaying, by a ridiculous amount, for a part that I don't even need that badly. $2 for an o- ring? I'd rather go about getting it a different way. As for walmart not having one, you're probably right. But it's gotta be available from some store around here, and I'm hoping that others on this forum might have some ideas. Thanks.

Reply to
Joe

I understand your point... it's the principal of the whole thing... but in this day of $3.50 gasoline, how much is it worth it to drive all over looking for something for less than the $2.00 part you know you can get ahold of?

Mark '05 Solara

Reply to
Mark E. Bye

To quote the old vaudeville routine......"Pay the two dollars!"

Reply to
mack

There is always the Red Green solution... Duct tape!

Reply to
Gary Denis

I know what you mean about saving money. I actually don't buy at the dealer unless I have to. There are a lot of excellent quality parts at much lower prices out there even made by the same OEM manufacturer!

The reason I said just to go to the dealer is because I think the o- ring is metric sized. At least I wasn't able to find an SAE size with similar fit, at least the ones commonly available in stores don't fit.

Reply to
johngdole

You LUCKY lot.

Petrol/Gas has just hit $2.00 a litre here

Johnny UK.

Reply to
JM

You LUCKY lot.

Petrol/Gas has just hit $2.00 a litre here

Johnny UK.

Reply to
JM

Well, I ended up going to the local NAPA parts store (of course I called them before I spend the gas going there! :) ) because they had the o-ring. I got it for a quarter, and it was on my way home from work too. :)

Thanks for your help everyone!

Reply to
Joe

Excellent! NAPA wins again.