Fuel Economy decreasing - 2001 Toyota Camry CE / 4 cylinder

I recently took my camry in for service at a local mechanic who changed the air filter, oil change, tires (to Michelin MXV Energy), fluids (transmission and coolant), etc. at around 40,000 miles.

I've noticed my fuel economy has decreased since the time I took it in. I travel approximately 35 miles a day with the majority of the trip (about 32 of those miles)freeway driving.

I did a calculation and based off 9 days since I last filled up, I'm getting about 25 miles per gallon with mostly freeway driving.

I suspected that the air filter change was the culprit - I checked the cover and made sure it was sealed correctly. I also checked to see if the air pressure for the tires was set right.

I'm still thinking something is wrong in the fuel and air intake system that's causing this performance drop. Any suggestions? I want to have some idea before I go back to the mechanic.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Gerald. G

Its the tires, Old tires harden- oxidise and can reduce resistance, Or your other brand had a harder compound. I removed the original Dunlops that were so hard I skidded when wet , 60000m My new Michelin Rain Force lost me almost 50 miles a tank full. I recently upped the pressure to near the tires max 40 lb and MPG went up. to where it was. At 40000 ck the timing, belts stretch. New plugs will help, maybe a bad oxygen senor, Did you change the differential. Use Synthetics all around you will notice more MPG

Reply to
m Ransley