Fuel Line Replacement Help - will it last or should I get the fire extinguisher out?

Ugh.

I've had a grrrrreat weekend here. I noticed my wife's car (95 Toyota Camry) was leaking gasoline and found the source of the leak to be a rubber hose between two metal fuel lines, when I removed the hose the metal line leading up to the gas tank was so corroded that it snapped off. After browsing these forums, reading my Haynes manual

3109830 times, and a quick trip the local auto parts store I got the courage up to make the repair myself. I bought a length of metal brake line and after a lot of swearing and effort I got it up and around the gas tank to attach to the fuel pump. The car is up and running and better yet, my wife has no idea that I won't point I was thinking I had killed her car! At this point I am trying to evaluate if I need further work or if I can go back to football and beer next weekend....

Here are my concerns and worries:

  1. The factory installed metal fuel line I broke had some nifty flaring on the ends of the pipe, one was a little more than an inch in and seemed to be a "stop" or visual clue for how far the hose should over lap the pipe, the other flare was at the opening and I'm guessing was designed to help prevent leaks. The brake like I used to replace it had none of these nifty little bumps and flares..... are these huge preventative designed to the point that their absence should make me question the durability of my handiwork? My Haynes manual has a cut away picture of this type of piping with the two flares and has specific dimensions as to how much should over lap and where the clamp should be... the preciseness of their drawing and the impreciseness of what I actually did on the repair are making me worry. The guy at the auto shop telling me that I would be able to make the repair with the brake line he was selling me even without the flares made me a little nervous as well...
  2. In replacing this line I also reattached two sections of rubber hose, one up by the fuel pump and one down below where the original leak was. I'm relatively new to the auto motive do-it-yourself game, the biggest project I have tackled to date was replacing a set of rear struts, and I'm concerned (can you tell I like to worry?!?) that I didn't put the hoses on tight enough. Here is one test I was tinkering with, when I was playing with attaching the hose to a length of metal tubing, even with the clamp screwed on as tight as I could get it I could still pull on the rubber hosing and make it slowly slide off the metal tubing.... Should that have happened? I seem to recall thinking of hose clamps as something that should not be tightened as hard as possible or they will fail prematurely....? Yes? No? maybe so? On the same subject the clamps I removed were a sort of quick release Toyota clamp with no adjustment possible, can you reuse these clamps? It seems like over time the metal wouldn't grip as tightly as the day it rolled off the assembly line. Are the adjustable screw clamps better?
  3. How much should the hose be overlapped onto the metal piping? Toyota has the second flare/bump about an inch and a half on the pipe, but one of my connections I can only manage a one inch over lap, which leaves me a good half inch short of their "stop" bump.
  4. How much pressure am I dealing with in the fuel lines? Is it high enough to cause a rubber hose to fly off and gas to spew all over the place? Along the same thread, would some sort of pressure check on the fuel system give me an idea of how durable my repair will (or won't) be? Am I literally ( no pun intended) playing with fire here?
  5. And finally, I am considering going to the dealer and buying a replacement part for the metal tubing section since it would be bent correctly and it would have the proper flares already on it. My concern is that if I bought this replacement section that I would have to drop the gas tank to install this oddly bent section of pipe, does anyone have any experience here? The metal tubing I currently have on the car was a PAIN in the rear to work into the tight space. Anyone have any experience here?

Lastly, I heartfelt thank you to this forum for helping me get my car up and running at a point when things looked pretty darn bleak. Now I am hoping for a little bit more help and guidance.

Sincerely,

Blake18

Reply to
blake18

You mean high pressure fuel line - right?

I'm concerned (can you tell I like to worry?!?) that I

No.

the clamps I removed were a sort of quick release

Just my opinion, but I always use factory parts. I usually replace bolts and nuts with new for the extra couple of dollars, so I would be replacing the spring clamps with new Toyota parts for the minimal cost and critical function holding in flammable fuel.

Approximately 38 psi.

Am I literally ( no pun intended) playing with fire here?

Yes.

Sounds like an excellent idea. That would have been my first choice. Although I don't like to pay list price. I might order online or talk to the parts manager about price matching.

My

Not sure which pipe is bad. The tank is only held in by a few straps. You might have to remove a section of exhaust pipe for clearance. If so, use new fasteners and gaskets when re assembling. Lift the rear seat cushion and disconnect the fuel gauge sending unit before attempting to remove the tank.

Reply to
Daniel

If you rusted out that high up your lower brake and fuel lines that are covered by the plastic cover are probably shot also. You probably live in an area with hard winters and salt. I had a guy just replace all of it from front to back with rubber hose using 2 clamps on each end, they might have been a better type of clamp. My brake lines went first and had a near accident, then my fuel lines went 1 yr later.

Reply to
m Ransley

Main thing is to use fuel injection hose & use two clamps on each end. The steel line will be fine Probably the same thing the dealer would sell you

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

The bumps on the Toyota fuel line help secure the hose from moving, this allows using the type of clamp you found.

Use two clamps and high-pressure fuel hose as sqdancerLynn and m Ransley state. One-inch overlap is OK; use the kind hose clamps that screw to tighten. You want the clamps tight, but not too tight as in squeezing out all the hose material. The hose should not be able to move if you pull it. The fuel system runs at about 60 psi, the pressure in the line would depend on what this line goes to.

Go to the link below and find the service manual for the generation of car. You will learn all about the fuel system plus how to drop the tank. It is not that hard of job, be sure to do this job on an empty fuel tank.

Might check on a replacement part cost from Toyota or pull all the lines from another car.

toyomoho