HELP

I have a 94 camry with 108k on it. Suddenly is stopped working. I took to a service center and found out that engine has ceased ! They are asking around $5700 to fix it with a new engine. Thats bloody too much to spend for 94 camry. Whats is my best options ?

  1. Can I rebuild the engine ?
  2. Get used one ?
  3. junk the car/ try to sell it (who will buy it?)

thanx in advance.

Reply to
Sanjay Kumar

Sanjay,

No, not unless you have considerable mechanical ability.

Yes, as long as they guarentee it is in serviceable order and has no 'problems' such as cooling, low oil pressure or oil consumption. A check inside the oil adding hoe in the cam-cover should reveal little or no sludge.

If you are in the States, this option may well be worth considering, else-where probably not unless you can take the financial loss.

The thing is, the engine failed for a reason. Fid out why and if it was due to lack of oil changes or low on coolant, learn how to address these situations. If and when you fit anotheror repair your existing motor, you should service the car regularly with respect to oil/filter changes and coolant changes/topping up.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Thanks for the reply.

I asked the mechanic and he said that my engine was running on low oil. I have been regularly changing oil once in

3 months from jiffy lube.(no oil leak was present). I was shocked with this news. The car would usually give some warning (like lights on the dashboard), but nothing of such sort happened. Suddenly the car went dead on me. It would start, but when I pressed the gas peddle the engine would go dead :-(

Also one of my friends has offered me to replace the engine for $3000, that too a new one. Is this good a offer ? With a new one, atleast I have the warranty.

If I where to sell the car..how much should I get ? I know almost nobody would buy it ! I'm in Colorado.

Reply to
Sanjay

Sure doesn't sound like a result of running with low qty of oil. Low oil/low oil pressure would result in premature bearings and ring wear giving low compression, internal rattling of engine and blue smoke out the tail pipe. With worn rings you'd experiece less power but not overnight. Sounds more like a bad fuel pump, cloughed fuel filter, dirty injectors or a very bad tank of gas (water and crud in it). A Camry engine is good for 2 times that mileage with minimal care. Oil gelling (sludge) was a problem mainly on the 4 & V6 in 97-01 --- it caused oil not to drain properly back into sump and would destroy the engine (rattling bearing on start up and accelleration). Don't think it applies to the 94 model at all but if you can produce receipt that did resonable oil changes (Jiffy Lube should be able to print off your record perhaps) then it is possible that Toyota will repair the problem. Have you check with the Toyota dealer and gotten their diagnostics of the problem??? Unless you really abused the engine it should have another 100k left to go. $3k is probably for a used engine installed - or maybe a short block. As it is now you'd be lucky to get $1k -- book value is probably $4500.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Engines can, when in a worn condition or has oil leak conditions, use considerable amounts of oil between changes. Sometimes, daily checking of the oil level is required in some engines with topping up.

If there are no leaks, the engine must be burning the oil through wear.

The car would usually give some warning (like lights on the

Normally. once the oil level has dropped to a critical level, the oil-pressure light blinks on and off as the car goes around corners and such, then it will come on and stay on. In this event, engine destruction is asured unless you stop and add oil.

In the US this maybe a good price, best for other posters to comment.

Not much without a serviceable engine, perhaps a $1000.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Get a second opinion. Get a second opinion from another mechanic. I once had a mechanic tell me I needed a new engine, when I later discovered that it was a problem where the muffler collapsed internally.

A friend recently drove her 1994 V-6 Camry on the highway where the car overheated and required a new engine. She paid her mechanic $3,000 for a new V6 engine. She knows nothing about cars, so may have just been the head. I don't know the details, but for that kind of money, definitely get a second opinion.

If you want specific comments from this group, try to provide specific information from the mechanic. For that year Camry, with 3,000 mile oil changes, the engine should be in excellent condition.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

He said he took it to a 'service cente' and they said it was siezed. Now he spelt it 'ceased' which can also be construed as dead, but I think he meant the former ie locked solid due lack of oil.

Is that what you meant Sanjay?

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Sanjay Kumar being of bellicose mind posted:

The engine is seized. Let's assume the typical reason for the seizure is insufficient oil delivery due to a clogged oil pump pickup screen. The typical cause for such a condition is insufficient oil changes for the conditions the car was subjected to for quite a few miles (excess of 20k at least).

You can take any of the three exit strategies you have listed above. At the level of damage you have suggested, a used motor from an automotive salvage yard is probably the lowest cost remedy. If the used engine you buy is still in the car, have them start it up and also, have them pull a valve cover to inspect for sludge accumulation. You certainly do not want to buy another engine that has had a poor maintenance experience.

Reply to
Philip ®

I found out that is very expensive to replace the engine. $3000 plus is the price. I do not like the idea of putting a used engine. I'm told that the used engine may have its set of problem. I could end up spending more money on the new used engine ! How do I find out - whats the worth for my car ? $500 or something. Is there any place where I can get such information.

Reply to
Sanjay

Get the seller of the used engine to run it for you so that you or some-one experienced can assess the thing before buying.

I once bought a used Dodge engine which could still be run even tho the car it was in was wrecked,..they are around, just shop for them.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

The mechanic told me that the drain plug was missing. So I guess that is the reason why the engine oil leaked. Is there any chance that the drain plug would come out while driving. Or jiffy lube guys screwed up something ! I have strong suspicion that Jiffy Lube has screwed my car engine big time.

Reply to
Sanjay

They certainly do owe you an engine in that case!!

If you had stopped the instant the oil warning light came on or when you heard the engine making unusual noises due to no oil pressure, you would have saved the motor, but don't feel too bad, for you are not alone in coming to this type of mis-adventure. As long as you learn from it.

The same goes for loss of adequate coolant or water,..if drivers stopped the instant the engine started boiling, they would save their motors,...many dont however.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

JIFFY Lube, - oil plug missing !!!! -- Haaa Haaa Ha, Not tightened to torque, or Crossthreaded leaks or loosens out, - motor fries. Heard it before. Jiffy buys you a motor...this will be interesting to see the outcome. They have insurance, they have had alot of problems, they dont need another claim, and WILL FIGHT YOU !!!!!! Google ,research, DA, States Atty, And many more agencys will help you. As will , www. Free legal Advise. com In My unqualified unbiased and unpaid opinion, you are intitled to a Replacment car cost , or SAME motor replacement , Which is hard to determine, or a new motor, and rental of comparable transportation from when this happened, for the duration of the fix and your BS. They will come out better- cheaper, making you happy than going to court.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Sanjay , relax, I hope you have your receipt, and get a written statement from your mechanic, If you do , you will be ok. Do research.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Reply to
sanjay

Sure , but they WILL deny it , Its a fight for you, Do you expect them to just give you a chreck for 5000.. Wake up ......you have a good case ,,, thats all for whatever

Reply to
mark Ransley

"Confront" may not be the best choice of words.

Perhaps the best known work in the field of negotiation is a book titled "Getting to Yes" by Gerald Nirenberg (I think). They studied very difficult negotiations with terrorsts and governments, for example. They found the most effective results come from "principled" negotiations, where both parties work to a common goal. You can always get confrontational later. You might try beginning with something like (talking to the Owner/ franchisee): "I've always enjoyed having work done here. I like your people and the convenience of having my oil changed every 3,000 miles, so I've never taken the car anywhere else, but last week, my independent mechanic found that the oil drain plug was missing, all the oil drained out and now my engine is ruined. What's the best way to get this resolved? Here are copies of the receipts showing my last oil change here, and his statement regarding how he found the engine." Perhaps it is just my imagination, but I could see some scenario where being confrontational "You freakin' idiots destroyed my engine!!! I expect nothing less than a new replacement and paid rental during repairs." Could elicit the response: "That's impossible. We always have our technicians double check their work, and intial each step. Something must have happened after the car left our shop to cause this problem."

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus