HELP: Need price help

I'm looking to buy a 1999 Toyota Camry LE in white color. Automatic. Seller asking for $7800. Only 47k miles on the car. Please advise if price is reasonable.

Reply to
explore786

Sounds very very high, cars age with years and miles , That car was apx

14-15000 new Alot of things will go wrong on account of age, like AC hoses-system, all rubber oxidising, brake components, etc etc .
Reply to
m Ransley

Sorry about my last post , I had my glasses off and thought you wrote

1989 Sorry.
Reply to
m Ransley

Um, if you don't take it, I will...

Trade-in value is $8000...

Was it crashed? If so, how bad?

Reply to
hachiroku

How accurate are nada values? Kelly blue book trade-in value is $5750.

hachiroku wrote:

Automatic.

explore

DEPENDS on where the car is. IF it's a 'driver' car on salted winter roads ... then I'd agree with you. But if a south western US car, the price is actually a bit low.

--

   ~Philip.
Reply to

If the car is a 4 cylinder LE, automatic, 47k miles, in "Excellent" shape, and a southern California car ... the typical price from a private party is listed at $8,500+ USD. What's wrong with the car?

--

   ~Philip.
Reply to

KBB is geared for the seller; I use it all the time! ;) NADA is a more accurate valuation of an auto's true worth. That's why when I'm not selling I use NADA!

hachiroku

i've heard that NADA book and Kelly are usually way over on their pricing and that the Black book is more factual. personally i alway go to

and see what they are quoting and compare the 3 then make a decision.

mike.......

Reply to
JerseyMike

You're not a dealer... ;)

Reply to
hachiroku

It could just be the deal of the year. Actually, for a private sale; the guy may just want to get rid of it. Similar thing happened here; guy came in talking about a '98 with 8,000 miles for $6,500! Well, Mom has an '86 with 80K, so I said if HE didn't take it I would. Needless to say, it didn't even make it to him. The seller's Mom had Dimentia and cloudn't drive, and the seller already had two new cars. Just wanted to sell it.

Reply to
hachiroku

Hachiroku has a point. Some are anxious to sell fast for personal reasons. It may help to ask once to take a look at it.

I always believe that the book value is merely a guide. I've paid higher amounts on some cars before because they were just immaculate and the owner provided me will service receipts done at the dealer. The only way to know though is to take a look at the car and to talk to the owner.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Keep in mind how some of the books obtain their pricing. In terms of NADA (National Automotive Dealers Association), they use the prices that the cars actually sold for at dealers' lots for that given area of the US. Their prices could be higher. That's expected because dealers can take in trades and arrange financing. To a lot of buyers, they are willing to pay for that premium for convenience.

Kelly Blue book on the other hand is what dealers use when they go to auctions. For trade-ins, it only make sense that they use that because that is how much they can get the vehicle for at auctions. At least, that is how the dealers that I know of work here in my area of the country.

I don't have any information on Edmunds.

Reply to
Viperkiller

more

not