HELP transmission problem i think?

My 1998 toyota camry starts but doesnt move out of park. Its automatic and the shifter slides VERY easily from reverse to neutral to drive even without pushing the button on the side of the shifter and nothing happens, no movement. The tow truck driver who came to get my car showed me a broken cable- i think he said something about the linkage?? He said the part would cost $180 dollars. I was wondering if this was the real problem. He didnt seem that confident and I just moved out of state so I dont have a trusted mechanic and I dont want to get ripped off? does anyone have any ideas? Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Reply to
jules

So call around for prices to fix the linkage, But I wonder did you ever change the trans oil and filter.

Reply to
m Ransley

Yup broken cable will do it. So order part from one of the online discount OEM parts place and replace it yourself.

Reply to
Wolfgang