Help with the battle against rust!

I'm borrowing my daughters 1990 Corolla sedan while my 97 Camry is in the shop. I want to try and touch up some of the corrosion for her whiloe I have the car. All the usual places, the corners of the doors are the worst. If I open the door I can see the inner and outer sheet metal coming apart. Not totaly loose, still fairly rigid but not for long at the rate its rusting. Also small areas rusting through at the corners of the wheel wells.

Car has 130,000 miles and is going strong. If I can at least slow down the rust the car should last her through collage????

I've seen some jelly like rust nutralizers/removers?? or should I grind it off? (wont be much left) then fill with bondo?

Any advice would be helpfull.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I've got some rust at the side of my 1977 Toyota pickup truck right at a seam along the bottom of the bed. My plan is to cut out the rusted area (abrasive blade on a circular saw), drill and rivet in a new piece of metal, seal the edges, prime and paint. It is rusted through, and I don't think for either of us, there is any treatment to stop it apart from cutting out the affected areas. Then seal them up real well, to avoid recurrence. This project is in the "yet to be done" category, but that''s my plan. In my case appearance is secondary since the paint lost its gloss long ago, and if it were repainted it would only show the numerous small dents more. But it runs great and everything works right down to the windshield washer.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

You might want to consider applying RustMort or Extend to stop future rust in and around the patched area.

Reply to
WrongNote