1991 Olds rust repair

I have a 1991 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight. The car was in bad shape when I got it, so I started to do some work on it. The headliner had mold growing on it, so it was replaced. The back seat was taken out, only to reveal parts of the body had rusted through, which would explain why the car always seemed musty. I went further, and tore the carpet out and found more holes in the floor near the front wheel wells. I dont want to trash the car because the outside of the car looks good for being so old, and the inside too bad. What I want to take the car to garage type room at our high school and work on it there. I live in Michigan, so its too cold to work outside right now. I want to get the holes patched and fixed. I plan to cut out where the panel is rusted out and replace with sheet metal patches. Then I want to sand the undercarriage down as good as I can and apply Rust Bullet to it. I have heard nothing but good about this product, and Im hoping to get this all done and give the car a little more life. Do you think that this is practical? The car has 145,000 miles and seems to run good, with no fluid leaks. Tell me what your thoughts are.

Reply to
Rick

As you are doing it for 'the love of the art', go to it.

It is very difficult to cure a rustbucket...Maybe not impossible, but VERY difficult. Been there, done that.

You will probably put more time and money in it than it will ever be worth, but it can be fun.

You must get all the rust, cut away and replace lacy panels, etc. Rust is like cancer..if you dont get it all, it will come back to haunt you.

Have fun

Reply to
<HLS