How much should building a auto transmission cost?

Hi all.

The automatic transmission on my 1989 Toyota Camry recently started having problems. The problem is the car will not change gear and accelerates as fast as usual even if I press the gas hard. It feels like the transmisison is stuck on a higher gear.

I had my car towed to a local auto repair shop and after an hour of diagnostic, I was told "the pump" inside the transmission is bad and thus cutting off some fluid circulation. The repair shop said in order to fix the pump inside, the whole transmission needs to be rebuilt. They cost of repair they quoted me are $570 for labor and about $1400 for parts.

Is $2000 for rebuilding the transmission reasnoable? It's hard to believe I need to spend $2000 for the repair considering the car's market value is less than that!

Any opinon on the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-JL

Reply to
tempest

Get another opinion, I bet you have a solenoid problem is all. The system has its own diagnostics. There are 2 solenoids to give you all your shifts, one has failed. Seen a few of these on old Camrys.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Unfortunately the cost of repairs isn't determined by the value of the vehicle, if it was there'd be a whole lot more old cars on the road today than there are. I agree parts prices should drop, after all the dealers have parts with declining possibilities for sales, but even if they reduced the price of the parts, labour is usually the biggest cost of most repairs.

Father Guido ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ I plan on living forever... so far, so good

Reply to
Father Guido

Well. After talking to a few friends and a Toyota dealer for their opinions, I have decided to let the auto shop rebuild my car's auto transmission. The conclusion from all the opinions I have heard is that the price ($1400 part + $530 labor) seems reasonable although the Toyota dealer thinks the $1400 for the part is kind of high for a non-factory unit. FYI, the dealer would charge $1400 part + $700 labor.

After the rebuild is done, I noticed the car drives more or less the same as before. There is still a hard shift going from the first to the second gear. And when the car is stationary, the car has a slight vibration if the transmission is in the 'D'rive position. Putting it in neutral eliminates the vibration.

Is this the best I can expect from a rebuilt transmission? I was hoping the hard shift and vibration would disappear after the transmission rebuild.

-JL

Reply to
tempest

If your idle is set too high this can occur.

max-income

Reply to
max-income

"Max".... when the idle RPM is set TOO LOW .... there will been considerable vibration transferred to the body/chassis thanks to the

180 degree crank pin spacing found in four cylinder engines.
Reply to
Philip®

True enough. But the poster said a 'slight' vibration. Usually a too low idle vibration doesn't go away when you put it in neutral. In my experience anyway. If the idle is high enough to engage the tranny (way high) is what I was referring to.

max-income

Reply to
max-income

In news:1Nbyb.253308$mZ5.1880672@attbi_s54, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net being of bellicose mind posted:

Engine vibration from idle set too low will only improve with a rise in RPM. If the engine is turning over.... the transmission pump will make sufficent pressure to engage any gear.

Reply to
Philip®

Here is a more detailed observation:

When I put the transmission in the park or neutral position, there is very little vibration in my car (except in the steering wheel). However, when I put the transmission into reverse or drive (including D1 and D2), I can feel the engine idle RPM drops a little and the vibration would grow stronger.

I was hoping the transmission rebuild would get rid of the idle vibration but it did not.

What kind of mechanical problems do you guys think my car may have?

Thanks.

-JL

Reply to
tempest

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, snipped-for-privacy@ucla.edu being of bellicose mind posted:

I got the picture the first time. What you were hoping for from a transmission overhaul is NOT from the transmission. As explained earlier .... that kind of vibration comes form the engine and in particular, a four cylinder engine. Now... the amount of that -natural- vibration arriving at your steering wheel depends a lot on the quality of your rubber engine mounts. THAT would be the place to put money. Bear in mind ... the kind of vibration you are noticing will never be completely quelled. Add more cylinders or mount the engine longitudinally. Go on! Be happy.

Reply to
Philip®