How to remove rear seats to replace rear struts - 1994 Toyota Camry

My 1994 Toyota Camry, with 120,000 miles....rear struts are done...needs to be replaced....to gain access to remove the struts I need to remove the seats...how can i safely do that without messing it up...so I can put it back without breaking anything. I have a Hanes repair book...it does not go into detail...any experts please suggest.

Any thing in particulat that I need to be carefull when replacing the struts...planning to rent that spring compression tool to compress the springs...anything other than this???

Reply to
mtom01

The flat (lower) rear seat squabs are held in place by a section of the spring steel rod which forms the edge of the seat. The body has two hooks inplace for this edging-rod to catch up against.

The best way is to ask someone who is relatively large, to push the lower edge about 8ins in from both sides (one side at a time), then while he has the squab depressed, push the squab up to unhook from the floor mounted hooks.

Refitting is easy. Position the rear edge firmly under the bottom edge of the vertical or back squab,...then sit on the front edge of the thing and it should click into place,..if not help it by depressing the thing as in removal method.

Its difficult to describe coherantly.......:-(

Jason

Reply to
Jason James