Import an Engine from Japan

All,

I was listening to Car Talk ... 10-Dec-2005

I learned that you can get an engine from Japan for about $500 plus $100 for shipping, probably another $500 to install and make it work.

I have a 1992 Camry SE with 250,000 miles. I need some engine work. There is a mechanic in town, Columbus, Ohio that does Toyota "engine refreshes" for about $1,200.

From what I've heard, when a car has 30K to 60K miles the Japanese

government requires the driver go get a new engine. What the heck, why not get an almost new engine from Japan for $1,200? Heck, 30,000 miles is just about broken in!

What do you think? Bob

Reply to
bobby.hawk

I've heard that same thing for years, but have never come across any sort of proof. Can anyone here actually verify this cheap japanese engine story?

Reply to
qslim

Would they meet U.S. emissions, I ask stupidly....?

Reply to
timbirr

Several places on the west cost carry them -- your estimate is about 1/2 their costs though. The engines may be a slightly different model too - especially when it comes to the add on pieces.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Depending on the engine.

This is a myth. The government does NOT require you to replace an engine at 30K. If they did, why would Japanese Mfg's make engines that can go

100's of thousands of miles?

These are junkyard engines or 'clips' ( a car that was in an accident and they clip the front end off), but the draw is a JDM (Japan Domestic Market) engine. They are usually higher HP than those brought to the US, since they think we want fuel economy. And they can be had for cheaper than the US version.

Another source was K. Watanabe in Calif. He was importing Jap engines long before it became a fad; I don't know if he's still in business. That was a while ago.

Reply to
Hachiroku

at 30K. If they did, why would Japanese Mfg's make engines that can go

100's of thousands of miles? > but the draw is a JDM (Japan Domestic Market) engine. They are usually higher HP than those brought to the US, since they think we want fuel economy. And they can be had for cheaper than the US version.
Reply to
bobby.hawk

WOW

I went to Jasper Engines & Transmissions at 1-800-827-7455.

And got a Quote!

Updates:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- GRAPHITE COATED PISTONS:Graphite is a natural lubricant which helps prevent dry start up and piston scuffing. MOLY PISTON RINGS:Higher durability, reduce cyl. wall wear. GRAPHITE HEAD GASKETS:pliable material that does not tear when casting expand and contract. Graphite gaskets transfer heat evenly and will not deteriorate around water passages like Kevlar gaskets do. VITON VALVE STEM SEALS:This material meters oil from the first running of engine. Its design is resisant to heat, oil additives and abrasion. OEM PARTS INSTALLED

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Product summary: With Water Pump Block casting: 3VZFE W/O TIMING COVER CAN INTERCHANGE WITH 478310 CORE ID=3VZFE LARGE 2" RIBBED LETTERS ON THE BLOCK

Core Policies:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- For full details of the Core Policies, click here, or call Jasper Engines & Transmissions at 1-800-827-7455.

Pricing and Availability:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The Price Is: $4574.00 Core Deposit For This Unit Is: $500.00 Skid Deposit For This Unit Is: $15.00 Sold On An Exchange Basis w/Jasper Receiving Old Unit As A Core.

Additional Information:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Read more about our remanufactured gasoline engines

To ensure proper installation of gas engines, JASPER sells an Installation Kit. Please call 1-800-827-7455 to be sure we have your correct application.

Reply to
bobby.hawk

The japanese gov also mandate a new wife in 3000 hrs, yea sure 30000 and a new motor, bs. Its the wife that wears out

Reply to
m Ransley

Only $4574!!!! What a bargain!!

I couldn't find it. You used to be able to get prices on remanufactired short blocks right from Toyota. Last time I checked my '85 Corolla 4A-GE, from Toyota it was $1450. Of course, from Jasper you get a complete, running, fully tested engine from what is probably the best rebuilder in the world. With a Short-block you have to add all the peripherals and get them to work. But I think I can do all that for $3,000!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Back in the mid 80s I had an older Toyota Corolla that had an engine go sour on me. There was a place that sold these Japanese engines, so I bought one. At the time, I recall they were like $250 or something. No core. Just show up with a truck and money.

I put it in myself and it ran like a charm. It'll meet emissions EASILY because they are a helluva lot more concerned with emissions there than we are. I just connected everything that came off the old engine... Gave it a good fogging, and fired it up.

Not sure everyone has happy stories like I do... but I'd bet that beast is still rolling down the highway (prolly still pulling to the right) hehe.

Joseph

Reply to
Ice