Is CR "New Car Price Report" worth $14?

Thinking of buying a new Camry, '08 or '09. Has anyone here used Consumer Reports New Car Price Report? They advise you on options and prices but the report costs $14 for each model and each price year.

Sites cars.com, carsdirect.com, carmax.com provide a lot of free guidance on options available and the price we should target.

In view of that Is CR's "New Car Price Report" worth $14?

Reply to
AlexZ

If you think knowing the exact invoice price (including the amount of dealer incentives) will help you negotiate a better price, then it might be worth it. But I think you could find most of that information (or be able to estimate it close enough) elsewhere.

Typically this information is more valuable on American cars which sell closer to the invoice price and have more options. Toyota options tend be bundled with the trim level and since you cannot order a Toyota from the factory anyway, there are less choices you have to make.

Check with a car buying service from your Credit Union, Costco, etc to see if they can get you the information and also help you get a good deal. These services will not always get you the absolute lowest price if you are a highly motivated expert negotiator (but they come within a few hundred dollars typically), and there is negotiating hassle involved. If you are going to finance the car, and don't belong to a Credit Union, maybe now is the time to join (if you have one at work).

Reply to
Mark A

There is an easier method. Why not do what major fleets do when they buy vehicles. Spec the exact vehicle you want to purchase, model, drive train options and color etc., then send it to the attention of the New Car Manager at several dealerships of the same brand, for a drive home price bid price. Then send it to several different dealerships of competitive brands to get the best total delivered price. It has worked for me for years.

Reply to
Mike hunt

IMO, yes. Have used it twice in the past. Breaks all prices down into components, so can figure out any permutation of options w/ chosen model.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I just buy the model Toyota I want, with the options I want...

Or, whatever Toyota is on the lot close enough.

Reply to
Hach

: There is an easier method. Why not do what major fleets do when they buy : vehicles. Spec the exact vehicle you want to purchase, model, drive train : options and color etc., then send it to the attention of the New Car Manager : at several dealerships of the same brand, for a drive home price bid price.

Thanks.

: Then send it to several different dealerships of competitive brands to get : the best total delivered price.

I am confused here. You mean if I am looking for a Toyota, also send my specs to Honda dealers? How does that help?

: It has worked for me for years.

Again, appreciate your advice. Just trying to clarify.

Logistics: do you call the "new car manager", or use fax, email etc? What gets most attention?

Reply to
AlexZ

I send a FAX to the New Car Sales Manager. When I bought cars for fleets I used the same method except I sent the bid to the Fleet Sales Manager

Send it to several Toyota dealerships, IF all you will consider is a Toyota. The price among dealerships of the same brand can vary widely

If you want the best deal however you should price the competition for similarly sized and equipped cars.

You will discover there are plenty car on the market that are as good as any Toyota, or better, but cost many thousands less to drive home

Reply to
Mike hunt

If that's the goal, try walking in naked. :)

Bill Putney

Toyota (like almost all manufacturers) has that facility on their website for a customer to build a car with whatever options that are available, either factory installed or dealer installed.

Some manufacturers (not sure about Toyota) even make sure that a particular option package is available in your area based on zip code where you live (different distributors have different option packages in some cases).

The manufacturer may also provide links to local dealers near where you live, some of whom have their own website with a complete list of inventory (with full specs on the cars) including those scheduled to be delivered but not on the lot yet.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Reply to
Mark A

Using a Credit Union or Costco buying service is just as easy (in fact it is easier). The buying service requests go to the same fleet sales manager as would a fax.

Keep in mind that Mike Hunt has only (and will only) buy American cars, which is a somewhat different experience than buying a Toyota.

Reply to
Mark A

I want to know what the "dealer cost" is vs. the "retail cost" - for each & every option & pkg. which I may be interested in.

Has yet to happen to me - they never have just what I want, right there. Same with wallpaper - always have to order it. Oh - *once* I found a border that was perfect, right in the wallpaper/paint store.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Pssttt... I know all about the "build a car" deal on their websites. But I also want to know the dealer cost for each option or pkg. - a help when I go in & bargain.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Bargaining based on dealer cost works well with American cars, where you can order a car from the factory and there are (usually) no shortages. Otherwise, your negotiating success (especially with a Toyota dealer) is mostly based on supply vs. demand. It doesn't matter how much (or how little) they paid for something, if they think they can sell it to someone else at a higher price, they will reject your offer.

You can pretty much assume they are making a bundle on all options. Anyone who visited the parts department knows this very well.

Reply to
Mark A

My experiences - with Honda & Toyota dealerships - differs from your assertion. They reject it, I walk. I show up later (anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks later) - they come down in price. But not enough, IMO. I walk again. I go back a thrid time & finally get what I had set out for from the beginning.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I am not disputing that. But I don't think they come down because you know the dealer cost.

Reply to
Mark A

Ha! You weren't there - oh, yes, they did. Big time.

I tend to bring a ton of paperwork with me when bargaining - they (salesmen) tend to be flummoxed. The Honda salesman asked to see my figures - I had a notebook in which I had every possible permutation of what I might be interested in all figured out/listed re: dealer cost vs. MSRP; he then said he'd never seen a customer walk in with that amt. of detailed prep work & said he wanted to show the manager. Who promptly came out & offered me whatever it took to make a sale. First he said he'd offer $200 over dealer cost, then said "Actually, whatever it takes to sell you a Honda & convert you from Toyota." I seriously considered it , but really wanted the Toyota, so went to them & gave the history of my negotiations w/ Honda's offer. Hmmmm... did Toyota then come down to what I had wanted from the beeginning? Yep.

I first got the CR dealer's cost price in '76, when I was 26 & buying a car on my own. During an early round of bargaining at Toyota, I said I knew the dealer cost & wasn't about to pay much more than that. He asked what it was, I told him, he reached into his desk drawer & pulled out the invoice, his jaw -literally- dropped, said I was off by only $10, & wanted to know how on earth I managed to get so close. Ha! Put me in a much better bargaining position - I knew he'd no longer assume he was dealing with some dumb young broad would be absolutely clueless re: purchasing a car. I then got his best price, went to the Datsun dealer w/that info in hand, & negotiations there went fine.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Sounds like you did a good job. Back in 1976 it was much harder to find out the dealer cost. That info is much easier to get today.

But don't ever believe anything a car salesman tells you, especially when he/she is complimenting you. They are masters of psychology.

Reply to
Mark A

It's probably no secret to anyone here that you are likely to be treated very different if you are a woman (it's assumed you are stupid about cars), or of you come off as a man who doesn't know much about cars. It's fun to hear savvy women tell stories about how they let a salesman or service writer talk (gave them enough rope), and then turned the tables on them.

Bill Putney