Is Water Pump change reqd with Timing Belt Change? Please Advise

I have just bought a 96 Camry LE with 105k miles on it. I am not sure whether the timing belt has been changed before. The previous owner had no documents of any kind.

WHen I started enquiring about the timing belt change, I was told to change the water pump as well. For Timing belt alone, I got quote for

230$ and with water pump, it's 330$. Is this a good price?

If I continue driving without changing the timing belt for another 5k miles,will the engine crumble if the timing belt fails(i.e. whether my engine is an intereference engine or not)

Since I am a student, I am not in a so good financial condition to spend a lot on my car.

Thanks in advance for your tips.

Thanks, Jey

Reply to
Jey

Generally the water pump is replaced the same time the timing belt is since the labour to get at the water pump is as involved as the timing belt. Also, if the pump breaks, the ethylene glycol fluid will damage the timing belt.

I believe the 4 Cyl and V6 Camry engines are all NON Interference. If the belt snaps, the engine turns off but no piston damage.

I am surprised you ended up buying a used car without ANY service records. I know its a Camry, but no vehicle will last if it has been abused. If your a student, I would have thought you would have thought of this.

Reply to
Car Guy

According to the Gates Timing Belt Replacement Recommendations Brochure (see url)

no 4 or 6 cylinder Camry is an interference engine.The choice of changing the water pump is up to you, it is good sense to combineboth of these replacements if you are unsure of your cars mechanical condition.My water pump is still working fine at 155k miles(no leaks,rattles oroverheating) I will probably replace it at around 200k for my own peace of mind. Dave.

Reply to
Birdman

If the timing belt breaks, probably the worst that will happen is that you will be stranded somewhere. The engine will not crumble because of a timing belt failure (since it is a non-interference design) but your engine will stop working until it is repaired.

To determine whether you were quoted a good price, you need to comparison shop at other Toyota Dealers near you. Look for service specials that they may be offering. Some dealers list these specials on their website or you can just call them and ask about service coupon specials. Dealers in different parts of the country may charge different prices due to the cost of labor and property in that area, so you cannot compare prices with someone in a different location.

I would not have this work done by someone other than a Toyota dealer unless they happen to be an independent shop with former Toyota service techs working there, and they specialize in Toyota repairs.

Even though the previous owner has no documents, can you inquire with them about this? Or maybe the dealer where they had service done has records so you can get a complete list or service performed.

Reply to
Mark A

I can't tell you if it's required but I can tell you a little about what I've learned since buying my first Camry ('98 2.2 LE) about a year ago. Mine too had very few service records with it at the time of purchase. The price was right though - $6200. It had 88k miles and I had no idea whether or not the timing belt had ever been replaced. Until I looked under the hood and found a metal tag on the engine that had stamped on it the date and mileage of the last belt change. It also listed the water pump as being replaced at the same time. I'm not sure if it's standard practice for all mechanics to do this but you you might want to take a look at your engine for something similar. Mine was on the passenger side of the enging in clear view.

One thing that really scared me was that AFTER I purchased my Camry I read about the dreaded 'Toyota Engine Sludge' problem. It's been debated here in this newsgroup many times and from what I've read, an engine had to have been mistreated for the sludge monster to appear. As long as you do regular oil changes you should be fine.

Another thing I've learned, Toyota dealers' prices for parts and/or mechanical services are absolutely outrageous. A single mini interior light bulb was $6.50 at the Toyota dealer and $2.25 for a strip of five at an on-line auto-parts website. If you ever do need to have major work done you'll almost certainly have to go to a dealer but dealer prices do vary from place to place so definitely shop around.

I have most of my work done at the local Monroe Muffler. I'm lucky enough to have a mechanic there who worked for Toyota for many years. Their prices are usually about half of what Toyota charges and they do very good work. In all the years I've dealt with this shop I've never had to take a car back after they've fixed it. You might want to ask around at the local shops for mechanics with Toyota expertise. And if you find a good one, keep him/her.

Lastly, I've had my Camry for a year and it's one of the best cars I've ever owned. So far it's been extremely dependable and a pleasure to drive. I'm not planning on a new one until this one gets to around 200k but I'm sure my next car will be another Camry. Good luck with yours.

NRJ

Reply to
Navin R. Johnson