leak on "small CV boot" (could be power steering rack?)

I was rotating the tires on my '96 (4-cyl.) Camry. I noticed that where the right front tire was, there was oil on the bottom half of what looks like a small CV boot. Not the actual CV boot, but just to the left of it, there's what looks like a small CV boot.

Is this part of the power steering rack? I talked to a mechanic at a car repair shop down the street, and he thinks this is what it is, but I didn't take it in yet. I didn't notice much drop in my power steering fluid reservoir...

Any suggestions on what to do...? How critical is this? (Do I have a month to get this fixed, or days...?)

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Take a look at Figure 2 in this free online guide at AutoZone.com:

Is this the boot you are talking about? It always helps to make sure it's not an oil leak from the valve cover gasket, etc. The V6 valve cover gasket leak makes people think it's the power steering pump or the CV boot.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the boot (on the far left) that's on the guide. I rotated the tires about a week ago - running from memory.

Only the bottom half of the boot was oil-soaked. That's why I figured it's probably not an oil leak from above.

Is this the power steering rack?

Is this critical to get fixed ASAP, or can I just watch my power steering fluid more closely / add as needed?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Then it's probably a minor leak right now from within the gear assembly. All leaks will become a major leak later but hard to tell when. Hard or erratic steering may or may not be the initial symptoms. If you can isolate it to an o-ring leak, then power steering system conditioner (o-ring conditioner) may help as a temporary measure.

Other than that I don't know how and when it's going to fail. But if any power steering system fails, you'll lose power assist. In the best case gradual, erratic loss/hard steering; in the worst case complete sudden loss when you need it the most.

So it starts at about $5 for a bottle of steering system conditioner of the correct type. To a complete rack at about $186 at NAPA, plus a $50 alignment on the excellent Hunter alignment equipment in a local shop.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Two years ago, two master mechanics -- one a Toyota svc mgr -- told me my power steering was leaking and preparing to burst. Not eager to spend $600+ for a slow leak, I tried a can of Lucas, which proved worthless. Maybe six months later, I simply flushed the power steering per instructions posted in this group, and the leak seems to have stopped. Not a drop on the floor in many months. Before adding conditioners, try a simple flush. All you stand to lose is a little time and less than a quart of trans. fluid.

H.K.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Herbert.Kocks