MOT Failure - front rack boot?

Hi,

My Mondeo MKI has just failed the MOT on a few things, all of which I can fix myself apart from one which I'm slightly puzzled by; 'Nearside front rack boot power steering component(s) leaking'.

Can someone explain what this might be referring to, I didn't really read it when at the test centre, just saw the word 'boot' and thought of the CV gaiter thing, but now I'm home I guess it's more serious than that. Does it simply mean some random part of the power steering equipment leaking or is it referring to something more specific?

Any help appreciated, common causes etc before I take a look.

I haven't noticed a drop in power steering fluid over the last year either.

W.

Reply to
Well_I_Wonder

In message , Well_I_Wonder writes

It sounds like the steering rack itself is leaking. The rack has a rubber boot on each side to keep the sliding portion free from dirt. There is obviously fluid around the gaiter indicating a leaking seal.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

It's the boot which covers the track rod to steering rack. It's really just a dust cover as the real fluid seals are in the rack. If it's leaking badly the rack is toast. If it's a tiny amount and the boot is ok, cleaning and fitting new clips may get it through the MOT - as long as fluid isn't showing it's a pass, IIRC.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)